UKC

Ultimate off the peg mtb ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 18 Jul 2023

One of my local shops has this bmc racing bike hanging on the wall . It is a thing of beauty . If I had £13k sloshing around it would  be hanging on my wall instead .

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/eu_en/bmc-fourstroke-01-ltd-23.html

Post edited at 07:32
 DaveHK 18 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

Not sharing your love for that at all. The white/red clashes horribly with the tan wall tires, makes a very expensive bike look cheap and nasty.

plyometrics 18 Jul 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Don’t mind it myself, think it’s the 80’s BMX vibe it’s giving off.

Either way, at 13 grand it’s going to make a fat, bald bloke somewhere very, very happy indeed.

OP mike123 18 Jul 2023
In reply to DaveHK: I hadn’t  really looked at the pics , in the flesh it looks the dogs . 

OP mike123 18 Jul 2023
In reply to plyometrics: that’s  very weird . They have a customer who they think may buy it when he sees it …….and ……

Mini Mansell 18 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

Fox 32's??

Not ultimate at all.

OP mike123 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Mini Mansell:

> Fox 32's??

> Not ultimate at all.

It’s an xc racing bike . If you took it to bike park wales you’d probably snap it .

OP mike123 18 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

> that’s  very weird . They have a customer who they think may buy it when he sees it …….and ……

I know this Bloke mainly through having sone sone work in one of his houses . He’s a nice guy  . When we were there he asked if we wanted a brew . When he put the kettle on and got the jar of instant coffee out the cupboard  I cheekily asked if I could have a latte and pointed at his £6k coffee machine that sits on his kitchen counter he laughed  and said that he never turns it on . 

wbo2 18 Jul 2023
In reply to plyometrics:

> Either way, at 13 grand it’s going to make a fat, bald bloke somewhere very, very happy indeed

Lazy cliche.  The person I know most likely to buy that isn't bald and less fat than you

(My BMC hardtail was a lot cheaper)

Post edited at 10:28
 plyometrics 18 Jul 2023
In reply to wbo2:

A lazy cliche indeed, and one used purely for light hearted purposes.

In reply to mike123:

There used to be an Evans cycles next to my office, i popped in there once and noticed they had BMC bikes on sale. I was chatting to a member of staff and he told me they were dropping the brand because they were so astonomically expensive they barely sold any compared to other big brands who made just as good bikes for quite a bit less. This would have been a few years ago. Since then, it seems to me they had just set the benchmark as quite a few brands seem to have a £14k bike these days

gethin_allen 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Aren't BMC Swiss? Not a cheap design and manufacturing location. 

I've never looked at BMC bikes, road or mountain and thought they looked like good value products.

In reply to mike123:

You’re not really going to get much of a bike with a budget of £13k. If you could increase your budget to £26k or maybe instead look at secondhand you’d have a lot more fun etc.

a crap climber 18 Jul 2023
In reply to gethin_allen:

I think for some people that might be part of the attraction, gives you extra bragging rights with your mates at the trail centre 

Siward 18 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

Nah don't like that. Aesthetically, proportionally, all wrong.

LastBoyScout 18 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

Years ago, one of my local bike shops had one of these on display:

https://www.mybianchi.com/2020/07/2003-giant-tcr-composite-gold-once.html

Cost about £10k back then and was still hideous!

Schmiken 18 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

No dropper, no power meter and tan wall tyres. Definitely not my idea of an ultimate MTB. 

This is more my style:

https://global.pivotcycles.com/products/mach-4-sl

OP mike123 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty: I know several people for whom £13k is chump change . Some of them are rude arrogant  unpleasant arses , however not all . Judging by sone of the sh1t my kids watch on youtikagram £13k is considered  a cheap watch these days . I’m fairly sure I’ll have more in common with somebody who buys  this to hang on their wall than with someone who considers a £13k watch to be cheap.  If I bought one of these I would ride it ,much as if I bought  a Ferrari I would drive it . However that doesn’t make the fat bald chap / chappess who buys this ,or in fact the Ferrari , just to look at it in the garage any less deserving of owning it . 

OP mike123 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Schmiken: it has a super fancy dropper 

Fraser 18 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

I used to regularly walk past the Pinarello Store in Regent Street St James during my lunchtimes. Must admit I did some window licking on occasion! That BMC one though doesn't do it for me. 

Martin W 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Schmiken:

> No dropper

You must have missed this bit in the technical specs:

BMC Autodrop Integrated Dropper Seatpost 
80mm Drop

And if you wondered what "Autodrop" is: https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/eu_en/autodrop

(Not that I would want one of these bikes, but if someone posts a link to a bike that costs four times what mine did, I'm going to have a look!)

gethin_allen 18 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

> However that doesn’t make the fat bald chap / chappess who buys this ,or in fact the Ferrari , just to look at it in the garage any less deserving of owning it . 

I look at these super expensive bikes as supporting my cheap bikes. If the manufacturers make these daft things and sell them for a fortune they can offer better prices on the stuff that us mortals can afford. 

Also, many of the bikes bought by people who don't really know what they need and aren't going to use to their fullest will end up on the second hand market for significantly cheaper.

OP mike123 18 Jul 2023
In reply to gethin_allen: I totally agree . Most people riding a bike like this won’t have paid for it themselves , thier sponsor’s will . Or if they do they will quickly ( or slowly ) realise they don’t need it and sell it for way less than the msrp . It is  nice looking at them . Wheelbase at stavely usually have something up on the wall that is silly money and often the top end bike from one of the big brands they stock  . They had a  road bike last they had was also a thing of beauty .  

Schmiken 18 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

My mistake, just looked at the picture rather than the specs! To be fair I'd prefer Shimano over SRAM and a 34 rather than a 32 as well...

Dax H 18 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

If I had £13k sloshing around it would go on a bike with an engine. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...