UKC

What Hardtail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’m thinking about getting a new hardtail and really don’t know where to start or what to look for. I currently have an elderly GT Avalanche 1.0 which has served me well but I’m getting fed up with chasing down obsolete parts on eBay.

Much of my riding is pretty low-key on Landrover tracks etc. I ride into some relatively remote UK mountain areas, e.g. recently Carnmore from Poolewe, so I need something reliable and easy to fix when I’m out because I really couldn’t face walking out instead. 

When I’m winter walking I’ll have a fairly heavy pack with axe and crampons etc. I’m not light either. My current bike has taken quite a pounding down some of the rougher tracks, so I’d like something that can take a similar level of treatment. 

I know I want disk brakes again, something comfortable for longer days (my back complains). I might want a dropper post one day but not immediately. Plenty of mounts for bottles and rack etc. My current bike is 3x9 and I know I’ll be getting a “1 x something” but I’d like something with a similar range of gears to what I currently have. I probably don’t ride more than 1000 miles a year. 

I happened to be in an Alpkit shop and had my head turned by the Sonder Frontier. Its marketing guff talks of a relaxed frame and it being an all-rounder. The 1x12 with 29 inch wheels works out to have a similar gear range to my 3x9. And I generally like Alpkit. 

However, the Frontier I was looking at was around £1200. Do I need to spend that much when something like the Voodoo Bizango is around £700 for a pretty good spec? I really don’t believe that spending more will necessarily mean more fun. I’m weird like that.

Any helpful advice please?

The Potato 13 Aug 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/buyers-guide/best-hardtail-mountain-bike

These are usually quite useful to read. 
Have you considered a fat bike? No suspension so less to go wrong, squishy tyres for grip all year round and comfort.

In reply to The Potato:

Ta. No, hadn’t thought about a fat bike. I’ll do some reading. 

DaveHK 13 Aug 2023

Just about any modern hardtail will be fine for that sort of usage.

I definitely wouldn't bother with a fat bike, they're pretty niche.

DaveHK 13 Aug 2023

Something else to consider is getting a bike with rear rack mounts. Getting heavy kit off your back and onto the bike makes a massive difference to comfort and fatigue levels, especially if your back is problematic.

I don't bother with panniers but often put heavy items like rack and rope in a drybag on the rack and bungee it on. In winter axes and crampons get tucked under the bungees. 

Post edited at 17:01
 DaveHK 13 Aug 2023

Dropper posts are great for technical riding that regularly switches between up and down. For the type of riding you've described above it would be a waste of money.

In reply to DaveHK:

> Dropper posts are great for technical riding that regularly switches between up and down. For the type of riding you've described above it would be a waste of money.

Thanks. I sometimes wish I’d lowered the seat when I encounter steep stuff but it’s always too late and I’m always too lazy. But you’re probably right - a dropper post would be unnecessary for me. 

65 13 Aug 2023

Have a look on eBay  Something like a Cotic Solaris (which is what I ride) or a Stanton Sherpa would fit the bill. Good to ride, a bit less harsh than alu, plenty load lugging options and cheaper than titanium (otherwise I'd have said a Sonder Broken Road). And unless you're very small, get a 29er.

In reply to 65:

I had a quick look on eBay and I could only see one Solaris, which was a bit rough and £1000. Doesn’t seem brilliant value for what I need. 

DaveHK 13 Aug 2023

> I had a quick look on eBay and I could only see one Solaris, which was a bit rough and £1000. Doesn’t seem brilliant value for what I need. 

They're quite expensive bikes new so 2nd hand bargains will be few and far between. Also, probably more bike than you need.

PaulW 13 Aug 2023

I was seriously considering a Sonder Frontier. Decided to spend a bit more and got a Cube Reaction Pro instead, mainly for the higher end Shimano components.

Only had it a month so too early to tell but very pleased so far. Like the built in rack mounts. Off for it's first multi day trip this week.

One thing that bugs me about my current bike is that the bottom bracket is a SRAM power spline, which seems to be made of biscuit. I’m stuck with this unless I switch chainset.  Many people on the web complaining about this bottom bracket and some are replacing it every couple of years. I’d like to avoid it in my next bike but I noticed that it’s used in the lower spec Sonder Frontier. Is there some rule of thumb about knowing which components to avoid?

Edit: maybe PaulW has just given me the answer whilst I was typing. 

Post edited at 18:36
 Lord_ash2000 13 Aug 2023

I've got a Sonder Frontier and it's pretty solid for moderate stuff at speed. It won't keep up with a full suss on the real rough stuff and fast descents but for the sort of stuff you're doing, It'll cope very well, also climbs pretty well. I specced mine quite highly within the range and I think it was about £1400 two years ago. 

65 14 Aug 2023

I think I paid about £300 for mine (used but as-new frame) but Dave has a point that it might be bit more than you need. If you're scouring eBay, have a look for an On One Inbred 29er. Similar sort of bike but cruder, heavier and much, much cheaper. I had one and loved it, and sold to to someone on here who was very happy with it.

sxrxg 14 Aug 2023

Might be worth checking out Planet X who make seveal of these types of bikes and are generally very good value for the price: 

https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/on-one-scandal-sram-gx-mountain-bike - Alu hardtail, sram gx so avoid the SX/NX stuff that can be less reliable, 4 pot G 2 brakes. Currently reduced to <£1000. 

https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/on-one-whippet-sram-gx-mountain-bike - Carbon frame and fork so lightweight. GX and 4 pot brakes as above. Currently reduced to £1200. 

https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/on-one-vandal-sram-gx-titanium-mountain-... - Titanium version of the Scandal above. Great value currently as reduced to £1400. 

Durbs 14 Aug 2023

My only thing to add is I personally won't be buying a Cannondale again.

I do like my Beast of the East 3, however Cannondale have their own bottom bracket fitting (BB30) and also their own crank attachment - which makes replacing components slightly more awkward.

BB30 is a bit of a pain, lots of people complain about the creek which can develop, and they're not sealed so wear pretty quickly I found.
Then if you need to replace chain-ring, they also have their own size, so can limit options too (Although if you fancy going oval - AbsoluteBlack so make them)

In reply to sxrxg:

Thanks, some interesting options there. Would it be too nit-picky of me to be bothered by the Scandal only having one set of bosses for water bottles?

I like the idea of saving money by getting last year’s colours or technology - I’ll hopefully be keeping the bike for quite a while. My Dad had the same bike from his university days up until it was nicked in his eighties. Mind you, it couldn’t stop or go in a straight line and the wheels were made of rust. 

TobyA 14 Aug 2023

> Thanks, some interesting options there. Would it be too nit-picky of me to be bothered by the Scandal only having one set of bosses for water bottles?

It sounds like you want an "adventure bike" of some sort. My old mountain bike was a Pinnacle very much in that vein, loads of bosses on the frame and non suspension fork, plus tyres to soften the ride. Perfect for bikepacking. They don't make them now but the On One Bootzipper is very similar looking https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/on-one-bootzipper-29er-sram-sx-steel-mou...

In reply to TobyA:

Thanks. That looks a nice bike but I don’t think I’d cope without suspension. I used to ride a rigid bike for Munro bagging and I just didn’t feel completely in control on some of the long, fast, bumpy descents. I rode my current hardtail from Glen Affric to the youth hostel recently and on the way back on the faster descents I was concerned that I or my bike might disintegrate. I suppose I could have gone slower.

sxrxg 14 Aug 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Zefal Gizmo/SKS Anywhere/DMR Hinged Clamps could be used for mounting another bottle if required. Also lots of solutions for bike bags and other storage methods without mounts are avialable nowadays. I wouldn't let a lack of bottle mounts put me off getting the bike i wanted at the correct price. 

Post edited at 13:08
 TobyA 14 Aug 2023
In reply to sxrxg:

Yep, Ive got either the SKS or Zefal ones. Used them on my gravel bike and newer hardtail with suspension. They can slip after lots of vibration. A wrap of thick tape below them is an ugly but effective solution. 

Phil79 14 Aug 2023

I'd agree with other in that you want something you can stick a rack on, make carrying those loads easier. 

I'd also want a 1x groupset to reduce maintenance and increase simplicity?

However, not many firms seem to do bikes with rack mounts these days, unless you want a fairly niche 'adventure' mtb.

A Kona hardtail might fit the bill? Fire Mountain or Kahuna?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/kona-kahuna-hardtail-bike-2022

Post edited at 14:58
 philipivan 14 Aug 2023

Due mainly to availability I ended up going with a sonder bike a couple of years ago. Local bike shops were really struggling with stock but alpkit had me covered. I was considering the frontier, but in the end went with the dial, which is a similar price but seemed to allow for a bit more mtn biking possibilities. I've not used it as much as I planned but it is really nice compared to the 2 mtn bikes I rode to destruction over the last 15 years or so. Giant terrago and kona king kikapu.

In reply to Phil79:

The Kona Kahuna looks a good fit. I’d ruled out the Mahuna because it looks too low-geared but the Kahuna is a similar range to what I currently have.

When I worked out how many overlapping gears I currently have the 1x12 looks like it will do pretty much the same job as my 3x9.

sdw7300 15 Aug 2023

I bought a Voodoo Bizango based on the various best buy and best hardtail awards it had amassed. I also bought a dropper post - originally thought it was a bit of a gimmick, but having used it a couple of times, realised it's brilliant. Drop the seat out the way for anything technical then raise it up high for anything uphill. 

In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Thanks. Does your Frontier have the mounts for a rear rack?

sxrxg 15 Aug 2023

You don't really need mounts for a rack there are plenty of options for mounting without them now. Something like the Thule Pack and Pedal Tour Rack , the Aeroe Spider, Topeak Tetrarack, etc. As previously mentioned with the bottle mounts i would focus on getting the bike you want and then sorting how to fix things to it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...