UKC

Annot: Shade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SFrancis 27 Sep 2023

Despite living quite close, I have not been to  Annot, and hoped to change this by visiting this weekend with a friend over from the UK. 

The temperatures are quite high this weekend (27-28C) in Annot town, and I want to know if there is enough shade to make a trip worthwhile. The plan was to climb for a couple of days and then head to Verdon to climb Ula on the Monday. 

Do we keep the plan or abandon it to head to  Les Gillardes or somewhere else in the southern alps? 

Andy Reeve 27 Sep 2023
In reply to SFrancis:

Overall its a tricky place to escape the heat,  however:

We were there in April when it was low to mid 20s. The higher crags seemed very prone to catching the wind, especially in the afternoons. So even though they're isn't much wind forecast, I suspect that only refers to the town and the exposed crags could be more tolerable. Exposed crags would be places like chambre du roi and vire du inter

Regarding shade, that side of the valley is south facing, so there aren't many exceptions! Again Chambre du Roi had some shade (not in all the routes, but enough for a first visit I think). The sport routes on the boulders as you walk up probably aren't worth traveling far for but they are genuinely fun, and fully in the trees, so they are a possibility of you need a break from the sun. They are on large free standing boulders so face all directions. 

Another option, which is only really one route (but it's a good one) is Les Portettes Face, which is right at the top of the hill. High enough up that in April the flora hadn't yet started it's Spring growth whereas the valley floor felt balmy. Its on the trees so is likely shady.

Let me know if you'd like any specific route / sector info.

MischaHY 28 Sep 2023
In reply to SFrancis:

Yeah it's fine in the heat IMO, I was there once in July with 30 degrees and we got loads done. It's worth questing up the hill to find a lone standing 7a (E4/5ish) finger crack which despite someone having put bolts in it remains one of the best trad routes I've ever done. 

Verdon on the other hand is disgusting in the heat and Escales will be cooking. We actually bailed to Annot from Verdon because it was unbearable. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...