UKC

Athens airport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hms 26 Jul 2023

I'm trying to organise a trip to Kaly late in the year, after the tourist flights to Kos have dried up. The most viable route seems to be via Athens, but the timing means an overnight stopover there. As I'm way too old to contemplate a night without sleep I looked at the hotel options, only to find that there only appears to be one, a 5* airport hotel with price tag to match!! Does anyone else have any hints and tips of how to get some sleep at Athens airport without a £250 charge for it??

In reply to hms:

You could you take the overnight ferry to Kalymnos from Athens and book a cabin with a bed on the ferry. Would be cheaper than the airport hotel plus extra flight and you'd be there first thing in the morning. 

https://climbkalymnos.com/kalymnos-info/

Also maybe ask on the forum on the climbkalymnos site.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jul 2023
In reply to hms:

Tina’s Apartments or Sunset Apartments. Less than 10 minutes from the airport, free pickup and drop-off, check B.com,

Chris

Sherlock 26 Jul 2023
In reply to hms:

> I'm trying to organise a trip to Kaly late in the year, after the tourist flights to Kos have dried up. The most viable route seems to be via Athens, but the timing means an overnight stopover there. As I'm way too old to contemplate a night without sleep I looked at the hotel options, only to find that there only appears to be one, a 5* airport hotel with price tag to match!! Does anyone else have any hints and tips of how to get some sleep at Athens airport without a £250 charge for it??

It was worth it to see two liveried porters rush out to our taxi and wordlessly load our pads onto a luggage trolley and deliver them to our extremely comfortable room.....

AlanLittle 26 Jul 2023
In reply to hms:

It's only a 40 minute ride into town on the metro and there are plenty of nice reasonably priced hotels around the Monastiraki area. There's a left luggage at the airport where you can deposit your heavy climbing kit overnight.

neilh 26 Jul 2023
In reply to hms:

Athens airport is a sod to find hotel options overnight.The problem is the location of hte airport.

You have my sympathies and on previous business trips there I have been warned by locals not to bother, just get a taxi into the city and find somewhere cheap there.

Post edited at 14:31
 carl dawson 26 Jul 2023
In reply to hms: Peris Hotel. Not too far, not too expensive. Pick up etc. Taverna nearby. Pleasant.

OP hms 26 Jul 2023
In reply to hms:

many thanks for all the excellent suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...