UKC

Carcassonne and surrounding area recommendations

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 frictionlabs 22 Mar 2024

After what seems months of rain, I decided to book a flight to Carcassonne for a week ( as it was the cheapest) with my 11 year old son.

I don't really have much knowledge of the area. I would consider driving up to 2 hours or staying local.

City/town breaks or the countryside are all considerations. 

I used to visit the Verdon a lot when I was younger, but that's about 4 hour drive. That would have been a good option for climbing, hiking and canoeing etc. Is there anywhere similar closer?

What about towns or cities? anywhere you'd recommend that would keep an 11 year old happy. 

The Spanish border doesn't seem too far either.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers 

65 22 Mar 2024
In reply to frictionlabs:

Carcassone's medieval city is worth a wander even if it is extremely touristy. Mirepoix is lovely, try to go on a market day. Limoux is meant to be nice, I've only passed through but Mrs 65 loved it. Tautavel is worth a visit for the outstanding museum and the vineyards, climbing too if you get a chance. If you go that far, the beaches of Leucat are not much further away. Axat and the crags and mountains of Ariege are not too far.

In reply to 65:

thanks 65. that's great info

Dave Garnett 23 Mar 2024

We've climbed at  Notre-Dame du Cros while staying with friends a bit north of Carcassonne.  Nice enough and a pretty gorge walk to do.   Gorges de la Cesse is OK too. 

Kimberley 23 Mar 2024

Ariege is nice for walking and climbing

heleno 23 Mar 2024

As Kimberly suggests, the Ariege is just over an hour from Carcassone.  

If the weather is chilly, Calames crag is a south-facing sun-trap crag, or if it's warm enough there's a huge variety of granite or limestone climbing all the way up the valley (I'm sure John Arran will be along soon to give it a plug).

In addition to climbing and walking, there are also some prehistoric caves which may or may not be of interest to an 11 year old!

Post edited at 11:02
 tjekel 23 Mar 2024

We found this a close and childfriedly crag: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/falaise_des_abeilles-18246/#maps

As is the area of La Clape. 

Sigean has a great wildlife park: https://www.reserveafricainesigean.fr/

keith sanders 09 Apr 2024
In reply to tjekel:

Le Clape was banned from climbing last year

not sure if it’s open now

keith s

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...