UKC

Fort William or Inverness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UrsulaH 07 Nov 2023

Hi all

I've been climbing for a few years and I'm just starting out on getting 'QMDs' (quality mountain days) logged so that I can do Mountain Leader Training. 

I'm hoping to work remotely this summer (May - July) somewhere near to mountains and am thinking about either Fort William or Inverness. I'll be working online 9-5 Monday to Friday but hoping to use some annual leave while there and keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get to know people at local climbing walls and through clubs etc

I've only passed through Fort William and haven't been to Inverness at all, so wondered what people's thoughts are - which is best for getting out for trad, sport climbing and bouldering, walking and long mountain routes? And which will be best for meeting people to climb with and generally being a nice place to live

Thanks! Ursula

Doug 07 Nov 2023
In reply to UrsulaH:

Never lived in either but at various times both have been my nearest 'big town' (by Highland standards). If I had to choose one I'd go for Inverness - easier connections southwards, quick access to the NW,  the weather tends to be drier and it somehow seems more pleasant.

Fiona Reid 07 Nov 2023
In reply to UrsulaH:

I live 15 mins from Inverness but also spend a lot of time in Fort William.

Will you have a car? That might make the decision for you.  From Fort William there's loads of hills you can get to with minimal driving or on public transport. From Inverness you'll definitely need a car and you'll drive a bit further - but still loads possible within a 45-60 min drive. 

Both now have a decent climbing wall. 

Fort William probably has more easily accessible trad but once the midge come out places like Polldubh could be unpleasant. There's sport climbing within about 45 mins of Fort William. 

Inverness has a smattering of trad crags relatively close to it but none as good as Polldubh - less issue with midge though.  Moy Rock for sport climbing is 15-20 mins drive away. Inverness also has the Caithness seacliffs and Moray Firth crags around 1.5 hours away.  These can be dry/ pleasant when minging elsewhere.

Both places have loads of mountain routes nearby. 

The weather is generally a lot wetter in Fort William but then if you want QMDs and having to navigate in poor weather that might not be so bad.  

If it was me, I'd probably go for Inverness to have more options if the weather goes belly up. 

DaveHK 07 Nov 2023
In reply to UrsulaH:

FW is better for stuff on your doorstep, Inverness has more options overall but less in the immediate vicinity. The climate in Inverness is much drier, you just don't get that endless west coast ming that you get in Fort William.

ExiledScot 07 Nov 2023
In reply to UrsulaH:

Depends on your goals, driving time will be less in the Fort, so you can be bagging munros and routes on evenings mid week no problem at all. 

Grit4Life 07 Nov 2023
In reply to UrsulaH:

Short term, I.e a season, fort bill gets my vote. Longer term. I think I’d choose Inverness personally. Better wall, more reliable winter. 

abr1966 08 Nov 2023
In reply to UrsulaH:

I spent a year in Fort William in the past, there is the tourist season and the non tourist season...it was very different in the two.i know Inverness less well but have spent time there. If it's June to July I'd pick Fort William....as a longer term prospect I'd pick Inverness. Have a good time....plenty of good quality mountain days to be had!

OP UrsulaH 09 Nov 2023
In reply to UrsulaH:

Thanks for your advice on this everyone - I really appreciate it

It sounds then like there is more on the doorstep in Fort William but it's a smaller town with worse weather on average... whereas Inverness has more going on, slightly better weather, and more options, but less in the immediate vicinity...

It's made me wonder whether I could time in both over the summer to get a feel for them! But if that's not possible, maybe learning towards Fort William as it's just for the season.

ScraggyGoat 09 Nov 2023
In reply to UrsulaH:

FW for your short term needs. You are there in mid summer, so with only a very short drive can get additional QMDs after work mid week, or do classic scrambles after work, or cragging, or even classic easy multi pitch, and being local can pick the weather.

Long term Inverness, nicer city, drier.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...