UKC

Geyikbayiri - How busy it gets in January?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blaciqui 09 Nov 2023

Hi,

My partner and me are looking for a 10days trip to Geyikbayiri (and possibly some of the areas around) in late January. Climbing in high 6s with the odd low 7.

How busy will it be? We imagine that there will be less people as we want to avoid Christmas (planning to arrive 19th January) but I just checked the scoreboard in 8a.nu and I was a little bit impressed by the amount of people logging climbs.

Thanks!

racodemisa 10 Nov 2023
In reply to blaciqui:

Have been there three times in January Once the NY contingent go home it remains vibrant but there are less people around for sure.This last year I stayed at jositos  which has an amazing community chillout and kitchen space.By 7 in the evening it would sometimes get a bit to busy in  there.Theres a nice cafe/restaurant though on the campground if things get bad and you want an alternative.Theres loads of other campgrounds though which are less busy and so generally quieter.Ive never had any problems at the crags however the trebenna sectors feel very busy in bad weather or when very hot.

OP blaciqui 10 Nov 2023
In reply to racodemisa:

Thanks! Our idea is to have a car and explore some of the crags away from Geyikbayiri. Olympos looks really good and I think its not as crowed...

I've never been in Turkey but if it is half as good as Raco de Misa(what a place!) it will worth it!

JMarkW 10 Nov 2023
In reply to blaciqui:

> I've never been in Turkey but if it is half as good as Raco de Misa(what a place!) it will worth it!

Only been once but the main thing i took away was how incredibly friendly the people are

racodemisa 10 Nov 2023
In reply to blaciqui:

It's one of the most varied areas I've ever been to.It can get to hot for me on the upper crags (Sarkit to Barbarossa).However when I've had the chance to climb on them on cooler cloudier days they've been fine for me.For climbing in the 6s the upper tier and  the campground crags are superb there are many great rts some with a lot of character.You will have loads of fun.

Andy Chubb 10 Nov 2023
In reply to racodemisa:

Hi there, my on-line research suggests it's pretty cold there in January and possibly quite wet. Since you've been there 3 times in January I would be interested in your first hand experience of the weather. Thanks

ekinstimothy 10 Nov 2023
In reply to blaciqui:

There are so many crags on offer, one can always find a quiet spot. We found the crags within 10/15 mins walk of JoSitos/the camp sites were by far the busiest. The upper tier we pretty much had to ourselves. One thing I didn't do was look at average rainfall in Geyikbayiri/Antalya area in Jan. The last 5 days of a trip there was met with torrential rain morning noon and night, this continued for several days after we had left. I don't think a week of constant rain in Jan is uncommon.

racodemisa 11 Nov 2023
In reply to Andy Chubb:

January can be unpredictable.It can snow or rain. Never experienced bad conditions lasting longer than 48 hours and in fact sometimes on the south facing crags it can be to hot for me. The  crags in question are solar collectors with very little shade by late morning Some folk like this but it's not for me.

Post edited at 10:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...