UKC

Hiking maps of Peloponnese around Leonidio

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I am looking for paper hiking maps around Leonidio to go for walks in the mountains there. Does anyone know which maps to look for and where to get them from?

It is surprisingly hard to find the right maps. Preferably something like 1:25000 scale that covers Parnonas Mountains for example

Thank you!

Robert Durran 15 Oct 2023
In reply to krzychu (chris):

This should do you for Mt Parnon: https://www.cordee.co.uk/Mt-Parnon-map-%5B8.7%5D-det-12-66-199-11667.html

I am in Greece now and have climbed Mt Taygetos and Mt Parnassus using Anavasi 1:50000 maps and they were good. I also climbed Mt Parnon which was a lovely walk from the west. I didn't have this map but used this excellent guidebook which had an adequate map in it: https://sunflowerbooks.co.uk/product/walking-in-the-peloponnese/

AlanLittle 15 Oct 2023

Don't know about Leonidio but be careful, don't expect OS/Harvey levels of reliability. I have the 1:25000 Terrain map of Kalymnos and have twice battled through trackless thorn scrub trying to follow paths that allegedly existed on the map but not on the ground.

(And this is not because I am crap at navigation or mapreading. I was in an orienteering team at school and have decades of UK mountain navigation experience)

In reply to AlanLittle:

I couldn't fault my Taygetos map, but the 50m contour intervals on my Parnassus map did make things a bit tricky in complicated terrain.

Rog Wilko 15 Oct 2023

I have used The Map Shop at Upton-on-Severn over many years. They have a good web site, but I find a phone call usually gives you the ear of the owner(?) and his knowledge of maps and what he has in stock is phenomenal. Overnight delivery is the norm if you order by mid afternoon. 

Post edited at 18:12
 Fat Bumbly2 15 Oct 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Blundering around the Rhodhopi range finally sold me the idea of getting a GPS so at least I had a breadcrumb trail to keep me out of Bulgaria.  A few years earlier I "navigated' across some of the Pindhos on magazine sketch maps.  Learning a little Greek was the only navigational strategy that worked on that trip (1986).

Obviously since then there are some online resources so things have improved.  Enjoy!

In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

By the way, has anybody else found that the principal mountain hazard in this part of the world is dogs? I've spent some nights sitting in the front seat of my hire car at the first hint of barking or distant jingling of sheep or goat bells. Currently sitting by my car on a high pass cooking, with a big stick and ready to leap into the car and slam the door.

Post edited at 19:28
 Fat Bumbly2 15 Oct 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes! 

One night tent surrounded by them, then a distant whistle and they were gone (Smolikas), Very, very scary creatures.  

Gabe Oliver 17 Oct 2023

As some have said, we found it difficult to get an OS level map for the area but there are good hiking guidebooks which offer an alternative. We used this one for a 10 day trip last year: 

https://sunflowerbooks.co.uk/product/walking-in-the-peloponnese/

Robert Durran 17 Oct 2023
In reply to Gabe Oliver:

> As some have said, we found it difficult to get an OS level map for the area but there are good hiking guidebooks which offer an alternative. We used this one for a 10 day trip last year: 

Yes, that's the one I linked earlier and used for Mt Parnon. Worth mentioning that there are some roadside noticeboards showing maps of waymarked paths in that area.

Gabe Oliver 18 Oct 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

So you did, totally missed that 

carl dawson 18 Oct 2023

The Anavasi 1:50 000 covers the area from the high peaks of Parnon down to the coast around Leonidio. Some but not all paths are marked. The older 1:50 500 version has less paths. The local council recently provided a free 1:30 000 for a smaller area (Poulithra- Leonidio - Tyros ie the coastal hill range - clearer, but no more paths. You might be able to find a copy still.

Download the 1:50 000 from the Avenza site. Very useful.

if you need more details of actual paths in the coastal hill range, message me.

carl dawson 18 Oct 2023

Just noticed that you can view the   Leonidio 1: 30 000 on the Anavasi site.

nniff 19 Oct 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> I have used The Map Shop at Upton-on-Severn over many years. They have a good web site, but I find a phone call usually gives you the ear of the owner(?) and his knowledge of maps and what he has in stock is phenomenal. Overnight delivery is the norm if you order by mid afternoon. 

This.  They got me some 1:50,000 of the back of beyond in Italy recently

mic.snow 26 Oct 2023

The maps are helpful but not perfect. Both paper and digital maps (in GaiaGPS for example) There are definitely many more trails that are not shown on the maps, while some trails on the map are not always maintained (spiky bushes) or sometimes just not where they are drawn. Expect a little more adventure as any off trail terrain is often quite some effort to get through!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...