UKC

Meteora

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 morganator 21 Jul 2023

Anyone been recently? It looks sublimely beautiful and there are enticing looking routes in Arnaud Petit's new Parois de Legende book. Seems like the easiest routes are insanely run out but the modern harder ones could be well worth a visit. Keen to hear from anyone with recent experience.

papashango 22 Jul 2023
In reply to morganator:

Went in 2020. It was superb in every respect, plenty of well protected routes as well as more run out ones. 

Sophocles, Corner of Madness, Pillar of Dreams were my favourite routes. 

There's some good limestone crags reasonably near by too for a bit of variety. 

dominic o 22 Jul 2023
In reply to morganator:

Hey Jon. Meteora lives up to its translation: “suspended in air” -  definitely ranks as a world-class climbing destination in a completely unique environment. I wouldn't be put off by the bolting - plenty to go at and maybe just a case of keeping a grade in hand. Magical place! Trip reports from a week's visit in late September here: https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/category/greece/meteora/

Works well as a part of an extended road trip, either through the Balkans or taking advantage of the ferries between Italy and Greece, both of which open up a completely different experience from the classic euro-cragging. More beta available over a beer sometime. Cheers, Dom 

mike reed 23 Jul 2023
In reply to morganator:

Watch out for the millions of summer tourists (Sweating buckets at the moment) and associated Busses!!! 

yodadave 23 Jul 2023
In reply to morganator:

in  a slight thread creep.....

has anyone tried it as a family holiday?

can i be combined easily with heading to a beachy area?

is there much for non climbing family members to do there?

heleno 23 Jul 2023
In reply to yodadave:

It's not particularly near the sea - so it wouldn't be suitable for climbing while the rest of the family are at the beach.

Having said that, it is a magical place and has sightseeing and walking attractions for non-climbers.  A few days in Meteora could easily be combined with a few days on the Aegean.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...