UKC

Oman climbing late December/early Jan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Inspate 25 Nov 2023

Longshot maybe, but I’m in Muscat with family for two weeks from Christmas to early January. Wondering if anyone is out there and would be interested in any climbing, or has any contacts for climbers based there who may be interested? If so, would be keen to bring some kit, and get out somewhere.

I climb mostly trad up to E1/2, but keen for anything really. Sport/trad/Boulder/dws. 

TheGeneralist 25 Nov 2023
In reply to Inspate:

If you don't get any takers then you could perhaps consider DWS....?

You'd need to hire a boat, and perhaps bring a non climbing accomplice, but there's a great spot just outside Muscat

Here it is

https://neverstopus.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/bandar-jissah-dws-guide.pdf

We did Arete and Roof areas, which were great.  We looked at beach and couldn't see how it could possibly be DWS, SWS maybe. But don't go there just for that sector or you'll be pissed.

Edit.  I say just outside Muscat. In truth it may be miles away. I jumped out of an overnight flight from Manchester into a car at Abu Dhabi and was told we're going to Muscat.  So it's nearer Muscat than Abu... Caveat grimpeure

Post edited at 13:18
 dominic o 25 Nov 2023
In reply to TheGeneralist:

"Caveat grimpeure" - brilliant phrase which I plan to adopt with pride! Cheers, Dom 

Bandar Jissah is only about 20 mins drive from Old Muscat/Muttrah, and about 30 mins from new Muscat.

OP Inspate 26 Nov 2023

Thank you, that’s super helpful. Seems v much within driving distance too

Swolohan 26 Nov 2023
In reply to Inspate:

Contact Larry on the Climbing in Oman Facebook group. I'm not sure if he's still over there, but he is a cornerstone of the community and has helped bolt most of the stuff there. He'd be happy to go out with you, or at the very least share beta on Jabal Misht (iconic 1000m face!) or connect you with who's around.

OP Inspate 26 Nov 2023
In reply to Swolohan:

Great tip! Cheers will do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...