UKC

Route Identification on Fly Wall, Wintour's Leap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ElBarto 20 Oct 2023

Hello,

A few months ago I was at Fly Wall, Wintour's Leap and went up a line that looked interesting to me but I haven't been able to identify what it actually is. The line is right of The Split pitch 1 from what I remember, maybe it's the first half of Split Swatter? As the line is very similar but I was more on the right of it. The line in the image stops part way as I'm pretty sure, if memory serves, I just did this first pitch then went up pitch 2 of Swatter.

Post edited at 23:57

pencilled in 21 Oct 2023
In reply to ElBarto:

I have no idea but John would have been super helpful super quickly and this is one of the areas in which we will miss him. RIP

Post edited at 08:48
 Rick Sewards 21 Oct 2023
In reply to ElBarto:

The line you've drawn is a direct version of the shared first pitch of The Split and Swatter, which doesn't seem to be described in Lower Wye Valley guidebook or recorded anywhere else as far as I know.  The normal first pitch starts in the same place, steps left where the rock steepens,  goes up the shallow right-facing corner and makes a tricky move back right to the top of your blue line.  I've done this loads of times to do Swatter or The Split, but  I must admit it's never occurred to me to go straight up.  It wouldn't be much new climbing, but it should at least be less polished than the normal way!  Paul Wood (who wrote the Fly Wall section of the LWV guide) may know if it had been done before.

Looking at the description and photo of Split Swatter (E2), it's clear they used the normal first pitch, as the blue rope in the picture is clipped into the gear on the usual route.  The only new climbing on Split Swatter appears to be a traverse leftwards from part-way up the wide crack of the second pitch of The Split to the upper groove of Swatter.  Incidentally, the bit in UKC description saying that this route is between The Split and Mutchos Butchos is wrong - Mutchos Butchos is to the right of the Split, not to the left.

Rick

Post edited at 10:36
OP ElBarto 21 Oct 2023
In reply to pencilled in:

Thanks for the reply, he will be missed!

OP ElBarto 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Thanks for taking the time to look and reply, I guess as it looks like it might be one that hasn't been logged I'll see if it can be added.

paul wood 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Hey Rick,

Don't get me started on these minor variants.  Obviously people are free to climb as they wish but I don't think many are worthy of recording. My guess is that others have probably inadvertently went up here before.

Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...