UKC

Bivi (and water) at the Envers Des Aigulles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rhaegalex 25 Jun 2023

Does anyone know how easy it is to get water when biving at the Envers Des Aiguilles? Will we be melting snow? Alternatively might there be somewhere on the way up along the approach?

Thanks 

Post edited at 09:07
 McHeath 25 Jun 2023
In reply to Rhaegalex:

Only thing I can think of is a couple of small springs along the Grand Balcon track between the Plan de l´Aiguille and Montenvers, useful if you´ve walked up from the valley via the Plan on a hot day. Otherwise just fill up at the hut?

OP Rhaegalex 25 Jun 2023
In reply to McHeath:

Thanks

I wasn't sure if the huts are ok with people filling up water if they arent staying.

McHeath 25 Jun 2023
In reply to Rhaegalex:

Not sure either, it´s a long time since I was there!

henwardian 25 Jun 2023
In reply to Rhaegalex:

It's been a long time since I was there but my memory is that it was only a short stumble from the tent to a stream we used as a water supply.

Rick Graham 25 Jun 2023
In reply to Rhaegalex:

> Thanks

> I wasn't sure if the huts are ok with people filling up water if they arent staying.

The huts are businesses so unlikely , but worth asking nicely.

Luckily when I bivied near the hut we had some  tubing which made water collection possible.

McHeath 25 Jun 2023
In reply to Rick Graham:

I´m actually hardly qualified to have answered here; we stayed at the hut and drank an awful lot of beer in the evening, prompting questions from 2 incredulous Frenchmen who asked if we were seriously considering climbing the next day. We did indeed climb and got very thirsty and sunburnt on the Marchand du sables, but our woes were forgotten on the descent of the final snowfield back to the hut when we met Michel Piola himself

Jim blackford 25 Jun 2023
In reply to Rhaegalex:

I've was there a few weeks ago. It was very snowy. Not sure how much would have melted but I'd guess many bivy spots are under snow. 

At least you'll have no problem melting to get water

There's a stream you can't miss that flows down a section of via Ferrata near the end of the approach also

Post edited at 16:46
 lostflatlander 26 Jun 2023
In reply to Rhaegalex:

When I was there a few days ago there was still a lot of snow so melting this stuff is always an option. I was there later in the season last year, and at that point there was of course less snow, but there were plenty of running water within 15 mins of the hut.

OP Rhaegalex 27 Jun 2023
In reply to lostflatlander:

Just back.

Lots of snow by the hut creating a good stream down th path, so no problem at all to get water!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...