UKC

Chamonix routes without a rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Badpanda 18 Jul 2023

Still in Cham with no gear thanks to airline

Was wondering if any kind person has suggestions for routes around Cham without a rope? Camptocamp suggests Refuge a l’envers des Aiguilles using via ferrata gear or traversing Aiguille du Charlanon and Aiguille Pourrie. 
We usually get the rope out on grade 3 scrambles cos we’re a bit rubbish btw. 

Many many thanks - we’re done some gorgeous walks and the flowers are very pretty but we wanted to climb, sigh.

Mark Haward 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

-Mt Buet; especially lovely with a bivvy among the Ibex behind the hut on the way up for a more relaxing approach

- The tete de chenavier ridge to aiguillette  des posettes then on to Croix de Fer, return via Col de Balme back to Le Tour

- From Argentiere up to Bec de Lachat. Continue along the increasingly exciting ridge until you've had enough

- You may find the Belvedere ok, just one short climby / scrambly section.

- It may have changed but I've never needed via ferrata gear for the Envers hut approach - very spectacular. Also recommend the Couvercle hut approach.

In reply to Badpanda:

Unless you really, really can't then maybe just go and buy one. Shove it on your credit card. Enjoy your time off work. Hope the airline gives you some money for the disruption to your holiday. Even if they don't you'll need a new one eventually anyway so it won't be wasted. I know it sounds like irresponsible advice but in the long run the price of a rope isn't ridiculous.

juggins 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

Have to agree SSB  life is very short, message me your PayPal Badpanda and I will send you money for a rope, just say how much. If you get money back from the airline give me it back, if not it doesn't matter.

Derek Furze 18 Jul 2023
In reply to juggins:

Top response Juggins!  

Jack Geldard 19 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

I have a rope you can have. It’s not new but still fine/safe. Approx 70m sport rope (was an 80, been chopped down). If 70 is too long for what you want you can always chop it down even more!

I can leave it this afternoon at the Big Mountain bar in the town centre for you to collect. Let me know.

Cheers Jack

In reply to Badpanda:

UKC at its best. I’m happy to witness such generosity. 

OP Badpanda 19 Jul 2023

Thank you, both Jack and Juggins, for your extraordinary generosity and kindness, You are amazing. 

But… stop press.they have just delivered our luggage completely out of the blue. I may have cried a little, ahem. (We hadn’t just lost the ropes, we had lost everything- axes, racks, harnesses etc.)

And thank you Mark for some fab suggestions we hope to take up one day.

We’re off to climb something relaxing - and hopefully not too wet

Wishing you all a lovely climbing summer with no lost luggage

In reply to Badpanda

Did you managed to get much done once your gear arrived?

OP Badpanda 22 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

Yes, thank you! totally converted to Cham as a destination.

We hit a bit of bad weather, but did a via cordata in the valley leading up to that lovely Buvette (the reason we chose the route!), the Aiguilles Crochues (fab but sloooow) and the Fretes de Charmoz (even better IMHO and deserted) plus a cheeky via ferrata out the backdoor. Mr BP is still a bit post-covid so not too shabby. Really wanted to do Aiguilles d’Entreves etc but it didn’t work this time. Defo coming back - we didn’t get started on the multi pitchs up high and v keen on the Perrons too. 

Andy Hardy 22 Jul 2023
In reply to juggins:

> Have to agree SSB  life is very short, message me your PayPal Badpanda and I will send you money for a rope, just say how much. If you get money back from the airline give me it back, if not it doesn't matter.

You sir, are *the* top banana. Official.

OP Badpanda 23 Jul 2023
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Isn't he just! So very very kind. 

Without sounding too precious, it's easy to get depressed about humanity by doomscrolling etc, but actually people can be pretty marvellous.

And UKC is a genuinely great resource. I remember getting worryingly lost on a Dolomite climb, checking the UKC logbook from my small ledge, and finding the beta for the place I got lost plus exact instructions on where to go. Probably still be there now if not for a poster called Fiona.  (Mr BP is a UKC Supporter I hasten to add). 

BusyLizzie 23 Jul 2023
In reply to Badpanda:

What a lovely thread.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...