UKC

Metaphors and mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dominiklukic 23 Oct 2023

Hi! This post is for everyone who likes mountaineering or is a mountaineer. Anyway, I am currently conducting a research in linguistics about how usage of certain metaphors can influence people's reasoning about different topics. In my case, it's the usage of metaphors related to war in the context of mountaineering (for example, conquering a mountain). I've already done the quantitative part of the research with participants (who didn't know the purpose of the study), but what I'm lacking are qualitative results. If you are interested, please fill out this google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Bfy7yYlADpsJbD0nIMaeabvYK5cEdCuIFMDZ9wfXcb... (it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes of your time) to help me get my Master's degree. Everything is explained in more detail in the form! Thank you so much in advance for helping me advance the world's linguistic knowledge  

OP dominiklukic 23 Oct 2023
In reply to dominiklukic:

btw, for anyone interested, I work as a copywriter for a company that sells, among other sports, various mountaineering trips - that's how I got interested in this topic. If you have more questions about that or about linguistics, feel free to start some kind of a discussion. It really wasn't my intention to just "spam" the forum and leave  

Pedro50 23 Oct 2023

Submitted. I have always loathed war metaphors and I'm amazed they're still used.

Hooo 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I think they're in retreat though.

Andy Clarke 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Hooo:

> I think they're in retreat though.

This will definitely be my last post on the matter.

andrew ogilvie 23 Oct 2023

I've completed your form - I hope you find my responses useful to some extent.

I think you may be overstating the prevalence of these metaphors or misunderstanding the irony in their occasional deployment - "Conquistadors of the Useless"  for example seems to be a military metaphor that deconstructs itself and the "siege style" expedition book was successfully lampooned by "The Ascent of Rum Doodle" 70 years ago. 

I hope you are successful in your dissertation despite these reservations. 

CantClimbTom 24 Oct 2023

Good luck!

Lankyman 24 Oct 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> This will definitely be my last post on the matter.

Why this particular hill to die on?

Bob Kemp 24 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Because it was there?

OP dominiklukic 25 Oct 2023

Thank you! I am really grateful to everyone who has submitted their answers. Thank you also for wishing me luck with my thesis   

OP dominiklukic 25 Oct 2023

I'll share my thesis here once it's done for anyone who is interested 

Tony Buckley 25 Oct 2023

You need to allow more space for answers on that form if you can.

To extend what I was writing there about your subject and environmental issues, the use of war metaphors projects mountaineering as a zero sum game; winner and loser, victory and defeat.  Whilst that was inevitable following on from the second world war, it's inappropriate now.  Now, we want more than that; we want minimal environmental damage, carbon offsetting, leave no trace ethics.  War metaphors don't work when we frame the story this way.  It's more seduction than battle, and perhaps more agape than eros.

So can that 'influence people's reasoning', to use your phrase?  Strictly speaking no, because I think the word 'reasoning' is the wrong one.  It can certainly influence their perception of a story, or reaction to marketing.

Anyway, enough from me.  Good luck with your thesis.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...