UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dwarfing the railway and road at its foot, Beinn Dorain is an iconic landmark of the Southern Highlands. Seen from the south its symmetrical cone looks vaguely volcanic, and could be Scotland’s answer to Fuji-san or Cotopaxi. Anyone who’s walked the West Highland Way beneath its sweeping slopes and felt shrunken to ant-like status will be familiar with Dorain’s massive presence. But this isn’t a mountain just for looking at; it’s great to climb too, and combines well with Beinn an Dothaidh, an impressive lump in its own right with a stupendous view out over the crags to the expanse of Rannoch Moor.

8.57 miles, 13.80 km, 1,146m ascent, 5 – 6 hours. Killin

Read more

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

They are great viewpoints particularly in winter

.Beinn Dorain is also noteworthy as being the subject of one of the greatest long poems of Gaelic literature- Duncan Ban MacIntyre's "In Praise of Beinn Dorain" - written around the mid 18th Century. 

Post edited at 12:23
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

I'd love to read a translation of that (yes I know it won't be the same...)

Doug 05 Feb 2024

I've never seen an English translation of the full poem (its quite long) but have read translated extracts, possibly in an anthology of Scottish poetry.

There are translations by Iain Crichton Smith and more recently Alan Riach of Glasgow university. I can also highly recommend Garry Mackenzie's 2021 book, Ben Dorain -- a conversation with a mountain which takes an interesting approach to the poem

In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Thanks, I'll have a look for that book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...