UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Beinn Dronaig - 30km of Solitude

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
A long knobbly ridge, but not a particularly dramatic one, Beinn Dronaig's chief distinction lies in its remote location. Tucked away in the wild Attadale Forest, the northern corner of the vast roadless reaches between Glen Shiel and Glen Carron, Dronaig is far from any access point, and takes a bit of getting to. Most will probably come by bike from Attadale - a good track, if not the most inspiring. More in keeping with the back-of-beyond feel is the (less bike-friendly) stalker's path through lonely miles from Achintee. Once the walk or bike-in are done it's possible to beeline to and from the summit, but a full west-east traverse of the hill has more going for it, with some fabulous views of the neighbouring Monar and Mullardoch Munros, and the mind-cleansing expanses of nothingness in between.

18.83 miles, 30.30 km, 781m ascent, 9 – 11 hours. Lochcarron

Read more

Norman Hadley 24 Aug 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I've often looked out to Beinn Dronaig from Lochcarron and pondered a quick evening sortie before a study of the map has brought me back down to 🌎 .

Fat Bumbly2 24 Aug 2023
In reply to Norman Hadley:

Found myself up there having forgotten a compass.  Navigated off using an AM radio.  Direction of strongest reception. Worked a treat but learned to check the pack next time.  Precipitation caused some river crossing issues.

All in the days before all the road building there.

Norman Hadley 25 Aug 2023
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

Ingenious navigation technique, FB2. Bit of "Use the Force, Luke" in this tale.

ScraggyGoat 27 Aug 2023
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

For those who knew the area before the track building, it’s very sad what’s happened.

Post edited at 22:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...