UKC

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Jenny C 11 Mar 2024

I'm putting this in hillwalking as I'm looking for any advice to reduce symptoms when using walking poles.

I normally use the wrist lanyards so they provide support for the wrist but am increasingly getting numb hands, not using the lanyards helps but that means more gripping which I believe can also cause symptoms. (Not using poles isn't an option as I need them as a walking aid thanks to chronic fatigue)

Also any general advice gratefully appreciated. I've been prescribed wrist supports as an initial treatment, with the option of physio if I don't see improvements after a couple of months.

my 11 Mar 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

Just a random diy idea - you could make a custom fit (i.e. wider) grip, say out of hardening putty? This means your hand is in a neutral/open grip position (rather than having to close your grip around a standard walking pole handle).

Potentially have to cut off the existing foam to expose the bare pole and form the new grip around that.

A further improvement could be to add a circular disk (plastic camping plate cut to size maybe?!) to the base of the grip to provide vertical support.

OP Jenny C 11 Mar 2024
In reply to my:

Interesting...

I've been using my expensive Z poles for the last week and found them much worse than my ultra budget ones (which was one of the catalysts for getting a diagnosis). I'd put this down to not having any shock absorption in the handles, but they are also a much slimmer grip so you may be onto something. 

JimR 11 Mar 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

push for surgery, they should do a nerve conductivity test. I got mine done 20 years ago and have never regretted it. I just found physio, splints etc just delayed the real cure.

my 11 Mar 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

> Interesting...

> I've been using my expensive Z poles for the last week and found them much worse than my ultra budget ones (which was one of the catalysts for getting a diagnosis). I'd put this down to not having any shock absorption in the handles, but they are also a much slimmer grip so you may be onto something. 

Far less muscle contraction holding a cuppa rather than a pencil (assuming equal weight). But this obviously assumes that more muscle contraction amplifies the cts pain...

Much quicker experiment, wrap loads of tennis racquet / handlebar tape around your handles to pad them out.

Just a thought.

OP Jenny C 11 Mar 2024
In reply to JimR:

Only diagnosed today, so happy to give splints a try, but yes if surgery is a permanent fix I'm inclined to push for it.

TBH it's not debilitating, and just having a formal diagnosis is a huge relief. Had already self diagnosed, but in the back of my mind was worried it was more sinister and related to spinal nerve damage from a previous injury.

stubbed 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

I'm imagining that you are a woman about the same age as me - I had hormone-related carpal tunnel when pregnant and when it returned after my daughter was born, the consultant said, if it's bad now it's going to be terrible when you are menopausal. The discomfort was unbelievable in those days & I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I had surgery with no complications and never had an issue since. Really recommend it. Splints & support will only provide symptomatic relief.

I should have asked for steroid injections while I was waiting for surgery, I was utterly miserable.

Basemetal 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Jenny C: You might find the handles on PacerPoles help you. They’re designed for use without a weight bearing wrist strap, having just a security loop for places where you don’t want to lose a pole. Despite the hefty looks, the weight carries well and most users find them transformative. Informative website and small British company. Mine are ten years old and going strong.

McHeath 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

Another recommendation for surgery; it´s uncomplicated, my friend had it done 20 years ago after having unsuccessfully tried various physio options and has never had any problems since.

Bottom Clinger 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Basemetal:

The OP got me thinking ‘why do modern day ice axes allow leashless climbing yet walking poles dont ?’ So thought I check out the poles you recommend and saw this video:

https://www.pacerpole.com/pacerpole-user-guide/basic-walking#:~:text=BASIC%...).

They look great, and allows your thumb to be put to good use. 

Post edited at 15:23
 kaiser 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

As others have said, surgery is simple and effective.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...