UKC

Editable Free Online maps

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Godwin 21 Apr 2024

I cannot find a central list (database?) or map of Blue plaques, which seems odd too me, and possibly I am not looking hard enough, so if someone could enlighten me, great.

The reason I would like one is it would be nice to be able to go to an area, and do a walk based on Blue Plaques.

Therefore I have thought I would like to create one for my local area.

Therefore I think I need some kind of online map, I can add them to, that eventually other people could access, and possibly a create a walking or cycling route from.

This is something I have never tried before and know nothing about.

Apparently there are also Red, Black and Green ones.

What's the point of putting the things up if they are hard to find ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Any advise appreciated, particularly if what I seek already exists

timjones 21 Apr 2024
In reply to Godwin:

Have you tried openplaques.org?

Open Orienteering Map allows you to use their data to create an orienteering maps showing the location of plaques.

In reply to Godwin:

> a central list (database?) … of Blue plaques …

Wiki media has a database of blue plaques (and the other 11 colour categories if of interest) though you have to put in some work to locate and to place on an editable map. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Blue_plaques_in_the_United_King... .

Not really what you asked for, but could you not just have an URL of a search on, to a specific google maps area of your location(s) if it is relatively small? Most folk would have access to Google maps nowadays.

Google maps allows a simple search of blue plaques near me/‘named villages, towns, cities, etc. As far as I know you can create your own location map of things using a base google map. (I’ve certainly seen before a base google map with only the locations of the thing of interest highlighted).

Marek 21 Apr 2024
In reply to Godwin:

Both Google Maps and OSM (and I suspect many others) allow you to create either custom overlays or edit the map data. Which is best depends on many other factors.

OP Godwin 21 Apr 2024
In reply to timjones:

Thank you. Never seen openplaques, it is interesting but a bit frustrating TBH, and not complete by a long way.

OP Godwin 21 Apr 2024
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> Wiki media has a database of blue plaques (and the other 11 colour categories if of interest) though you have to put in some work to locate and to place on an editable map. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Blue_plaques_in_the_United_King... .

>

Thank you interesting but no where near a complete record.

This all seems strange to me, I believe the plaques cost organisations or individuals a considerable sum to put up, I would have thought there would be a central list.

OP Godwin 21 Apr 2024
In reply to Marek:

Thank you

Sealwife 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Godwin:

Misread the thread title as Edible Free Online Maps.  Niche product.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...