UKC

First time in Lake District. Suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Turnbull 19 Jul 2022

Hey everyone,

So I think I'm going to find myself in the Lake District at the weekend and I've never been before. I'm working towards my Mountain Leader so want to get as many quality days as possible. Any suggestions for a few scrambly days and somewhere nice to camp? I'm a rock climber so quite happy on easier scrambles even with a bigger bag.

Thanks a lot,

Jack

Trangia 19 Jul 2022
In reply to Jack Turnbull:

I would suggest that Langdale is an excellent venue for a first visit. It was my first taste of the Lake District 62 years ago, and still up amongst my favourite mountain venues.

1. Nice camp site, but you may have left it a bit late now though to find available space if you haven;t booked

2. Great crags, with multi pitch routes, all within walking distance.

3. Superb mountain walking and scrambling. You can access many of the highest peaks from here, including Scafell, and Scafell Pike. NB Caution required if going from the former to the latter via Broad Stand. It's described as a scramble, and not difficult, but it's very exposed on polished rock, and the scene of numerous fatal accidents. Another great scramble is Jack's Rake on Pavey Ark, again not difficult but take care it, has had fatalities due to exposure, particularly when wet.

4. Outstanding scenery.

5 And not least of all two great pubs within walking distance Old Dungeon Ghyll, and the New Dungeon Ghyll.

C Witter 19 Jul 2022

If you are going for a multiday walk there are lots of great possibilities. Really, it's best to take a good look at a map and have a think...

With my younger brother, we did a great round using public transport. We started in Langdale up the Band to Bowfell, continued over Broad Crag to Scafell Pike and descended via Mickledore, camping in the pub campsite. The next day we headed up Yew Barrow (a little scrambly) and up to Red Pike and Scoat Crag, wild camping in one of the combes below Steeple. The day after that we ascended Steeple and Scoat Crag, Pillar and Great Gable, then headed down into Borrowdale. The final day we went swimming.

If you are going by car, the question might really be where to leave that and how many days you have. Wasdale or the bottom of Borrowdale there are options without paying; Eskdale also has options; Langdale is not great for this, unless you return to the valley each night and park at the campsite. There are also even quieter parts of the Lakes, but shh..!

Post edited at 16:21
 compost 19 Jul 2022

Bear in mind that for most *English schools this weekend is the start of the summer hols, so it's likely to be really busy and campsites might be booked up/ have minimum stays. 

If you want to camp on a proper site, Chapel House Farm in Borrowdale is lovely, cheap and perfectly located for lots of routes. If wild camping, avoid the tarns at the moment!

Post edited at 16:41
 DaveHK 19 Jul 2022
In reply to Trangia:

> NB Caution required if going from the former to the latter via Broad Stand. It's described as a scramble, and not difficult, but it's very exposed on polished rock, and the scene of numerous fatal accidents.

A few years ago I went up Broad Stand while out on a recce for the Bob Graham Round. A guy standing at Mickledore went absolutely ballistic and ran over screaming at me to stop and shouting 'where's your rope! Where's your f***ing rope! You've not got a f***ing helmet!' Another guy was soloing it behind me and we both stopped at the top to exchange bemused looks. The shouty man's companions looked equally bemused.

Godwin 19 Jul 2022

I would suggest you see if you can get the two cicerone guides to scrambling in the lake District by Brian Evans from your local library service.

I would base myself in the Duddon valley or Eskdale.

Eskdale is doable by train.

The pubs in Langdale are very poor, and I would not rely on them for food.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...