UKC

Garmin Explore - evil??

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 dread-i 02 Apr 2024

I have two different gpx files for a walk. I'd like to overlay them, delete unwanted bits and create one optimised walk. Then send it to my watch. I've done similar before using Basecamp with my old watch. It wasn't ideal, but it worked.

Basecamp on my Mac has seems to have given up. I cant write to my watch, even though I've granted access to the USB. I can download a gpx, and upload it into Explore, but its a faff. Did I mention that BC, isn't linked to Explore, as that would make life too easy for Garmin users.

Explore web app, has different features depending on which browser you're using. (Safari 17.3x seems to be better than Firefox 124.x, but I CBA, trying all browsers.) The gpx files show a number of points, rather than a smooth track, but I can live with that. I think I need to convert the Track to a Course, or Route or maybe an Adventure. There is help, but no context sensitive help on actions. As an engineer, I'm used to complexity. I'll get there, but this is just consumer hateful.

The Explore iPhone app, has a few more options for converting between route, track and course. But no editing. There seems to be dozens of Garmin iPhone apps, but I don't want to edit on a small screen.

What should have taken a few minutes has taken up an inordinate amount of time. I can find a work around, but that's just defeatism. I love Garmin hardware, but their software has always been enigmatic. 

What tools do others use?

Spready 02 Apr 2024
In reply to dread-i:

I feel your pain...
I've been playing around with routes, tracks, and then creating 'amended' routes (not including the various changes in direction or mad plot points whilst sat in a cairn)... but have found the same as you. 

I had a play with https://gpx.studio/
that may be worth looking at. 

(I may be posting my own question soon, as am finding very large height differences from what is calculated on a track, to what then gets presented when converted to a route!)

Robert Durran 02 Apr 2024
In reply to dread-i:

> What tools do others use?

A map.

Occasionally a compass.

alx 02 Apr 2024
In reply to Robert Durran:

> A map.

> Occasionally a compass.

I prefer sextant and glass sand timer carried by a serf I bring along for the jolly

crayefish 03 Apr 2024
In reply to dread-i:

I agree... the Garmin ecosystem is a total ballache.  I still can only make routes on Basecamp (which needs the sodding GPS plugged in unless you buy the basecamp maps from TT), which then I need to export to Connect to add points of interest (if needed) and send to my device.  As for Explore?  Seems its only good for activating my inreach.

Just went through this pain of joining 7 day routes into one longer route for the Al Hajar mountains in Oman.  God I hate Garmin sometimes!  I spent many hours swearing at it.

timjones 03 Apr 2024
In reply to dread-i:

I edit in GaiaGPS or OS Maps and then upload to the watch or GPS through  Garmin Explore or directly over a USB connection.

ChrisJD 03 Apr 2024
In reply to alx:

> I prefer sextant and glass sand timer carried by a serf I bring along for the jolly

I never leave the house without packing a few standard Gunter Chains

ChrisJD 03 Apr 2024
In reply to dread-i:

As an aside and off your current needs.

OsmAnd+ on phones has neat route planning that auto-aligns with tracks, paths, roads etc (choose walking option, even if for riding), once you work it out.  Useful for non-UK hols.

OP dread-i 03 Apr 2024
In reply to crayefish:

>I still can only make routes on Basecamp (which needs the sodding GPS plugged in unless you buy the basecamp maps from TT)

That annoys me. I have 1:25k OS on my hand held GPS, which display in Basecamp, only when it's plugged in. Its nice that they are enforcing other peoples copyrights, but a pain for the user. (You can make a virtual USB disk with the maps on there to bypass this issue.)

I did find a method using AndroidFileTransfer Mac app, to talk to my watch, to send maps over there. So now I have OS maps on my Epix. AFT wants to run at every startup, which is a pain, but for different reasons.

Spready 03 Apr 2024
In reply to dread-i:

Virtual USB!!... Game changer... thanks for that!

timjones 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Spready:

> Virtual USB!!... Game changer... thanks for that!

I had forgotten about that solution, Basecamp is unable to differentiate between a Garmin Device and a USB memory stick or a card in a card reader.

LastBoyScout 03 Apr 2024
In reply to dread-i:

Noticed you have an Epix.

My recent pain on courses was having downloaded a set of 8 GPX files for the West Highland Way, it didn't seem to realise that we were stopping at slightly different points. Hence, we'd fall off the end of one of them and not be able to pick up the next one, so it just ran on. Also then we weren't able to start the next one part-way along it, so they weren't overall very useful.

Next time, I'll have to spend a bit more time joining/editing the files to get the exact days routes sorted out.

OP dread-i 03 Apr 2024
In reply to LastBoyScout:

>Next time, I'll have to spend a bit more time joining/editing the files to get the exact days routes sorted out.

Or find a few complete routes and overlay them to see if there are any deviations. Which is what I'm trying to do, but for another location. Then you can stop each night and 'resume later' the next day.

I want to put on waypoints, that show up on one of nav screens. E.g. Pub 5km, next wp: Campsite 10km, Distance left: 20km. I've had limited success using Basecamp, It shows the wp, but not the name. It may be that I'm not using the right track,route,course,adventure format.

To get the OS maps on there I copied the gmapprom and gmapsup from my memory card to the watch, using the android file transfer app.

> A map.

> Occasionally a compass.

Pouring over actual paper maps is my favourite pastime. Although I have to admit I now regularly use Memory Map 1:50k & 1:25k maps on my phone. 

Currently I'm introducing maps to my 5 year old grandson. He's most intrigued.

Robert Durran 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Deleated bagger:

> Pouring over actual paper maps is my favourite pastime. Although I have to admit I now regularly use Memory Map 1:50k & 1:25k maps on my phone. 

Recently I was going up a hill at night and discovered I had forgotten my map. I managed to find one on Walkhighlands on my phone and did manage to make do with that. It was incredibly fiddly with gloves and cold fingers though and pretty hopeless trying to get a decent compass bearing. I certainly wouldn't choose to do it again.

When I read the OP it did at first come across as some sort of parody and I did wonder if it might be an April's fool and had to check the date. Why put oneself through all that stress just to go for a walk? 

I love maps.

Post edited at 09:19
 Howard J 04 Apr 2024

GPS complements maps, and most now display actual mapping. Garmin make excellent GPS units (far better than trying to use your phone) but their software is rubbish. Fortunately there are plenty of third-party software software providers. Possibly Garmin, knowing this, just can't be bothered to develop good software themselves.

Robert Durran 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Howard J:

> GPS complements maps, and most now display actual mapping.

I was just thinking of the impracticality and lack of aesthetic pleasure in using a map off a phone screen. GPS (love it or loathe it, cheating or just practical) would be a separate issue.

OP dread-i 04 Apr 2024

>When I read the OP it did at first come across as some sort of parody and I did wonder if it might be an April's fool and had to check the date. Why put oneself through all that stress just to go for a walk? 

Good point.

I also use my watch and gps routes for races. My previous watch, showed a line to follow. Cold, tired and in a hurry are not the ideal operating conditions for a paper map. Add in wind, rain, fog and darkness, and its an arse, to use the technical term. Glancing at ones wrist and seeing a direction arrow, a line showing the route ahead and the OS map takes about a second. More frequent checking means less going off route. Having the count down distance to points of interest, such as pubs, makes life easier.

Never fear, I take a paper map (many races require one), and a phone with several mapping apps, sometimes a handheld gps as well. Plotting routes and adding waypoints for a walk, is just because I can. (If the system would work as expected, that is

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...