UKC

Glyndwrs Way

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 broken spectre 06 Mar 2024

Has anyone done this? It came up on my phone as an article from the Express of all things https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1872988/walk-wales-Glyndwrs-Way and I think it exactly fits the bill for my next potential "adventure".

Matt Podd 06 Mar 2024
In reply to broken spectre:

Not done all of it, but have done a lot of bits as daywalks. Takes you on a lovely tour of remote bits of Mid Wales.

Welsh Kate 06 Mar 2024

Like Matt, I've only done sections of it. You get to see bit of Wales that people normally drive through trying to get between south and north with their bigger hills. There are some stunning upland areas which have a very low footfall.

Post edited at 12:16

Doing it in sections, although detracting from the full-on experience of a multiday hike actually makes lots of sense because logistically, organising and committing to a trip of such a length is probably on the edge of what I can organise and achieve.

Nigel Coe 06 Mar 2024

I ran it in 6 or 7 sections about 8 years ago. It was very quiet - I saw just 2 people on the first day. This suited me, but I would have preferred more company in the evenings. The first night the b&b gave me dinner on my own, the second night I was the only person in the hostel, the third night the new owners of the Star Inn at Dylife gave me my meal but then left as they hadn’t moved in yet, and Toad Hall hostel had a note on the door ‘Nigel, We’re away, make yourself at home’.

There didn’t seem to be a huge choice of accomodation but it was worth the effort.

Pedro50 06 Mar 2024
In reply to all:

Looks really interesting, any knowledge regarding camping or "wild" camping opportunities.

Welsh Kate 06 Mar 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

Not specifically; I've backpacked in the Cambrian mountains and never had problems finding a discrete spot to camp; further east you'll probably need to be a bit more discerning in the more heavily agricultural areas. But a friend who does a lot of long-distance routes in Wales generally finds somewhere, or a shed or something to bed down in.

Good resupply (and accommodation) options in Llanidloes and Mach.

stubbed 07 Mar 2024

Yes, several sections. Memorable for several reasons: hardly anyone else (I think we passed one other group all day), a dead sheep lying rotting on the path & the Star Inn at Dylife is pretty weird, or at least it was in those days. Nice scenery

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...