UKC

Improving Walking technique

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 29 Jun 2023

I can be a bit old school, in that if going for a walk, no need to overthink it, put on a pair of shoes or wellies, and out of the door.
However over the years I have learnt a couple of techniques, such as "guide pace" and "micro rests" when walking up hill.
So I was interested to read this article in https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/jun/19/im-not-just-faster-but...

Has anyone worked on their walking technique successfully?

In reply to Godwin:

Yeah, my pace shot up when I learned how to lift myself up using the edge of a coffee table. Took me a lot longer to learn to avoid tripping over Duplo though. That was a difficult lesson.

Pedro50 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I did read the article, I have tried pushing off with the rear foot more but fear it may flex my big toe joints too much; I walk in fell running shoes.

OP Godwin 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

>  but fear it may flex my big toe joints too much;

Do you have a specific toe joint issue?

Also I wonder about working on posture, I think I may observe other walkers, try and note who look good walkers and who don't.

Pedro50 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

> Do you have a specific toe joint issue?

They're delicate, I have a bunion, they're fine if I'm careful.

John Gresty 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I have always believed that walking is a skill, and as such  peoples level of capability varies a lot, and my experience backs that up. I once read that there are 10  levels of difficulty.

John

Jon Greengrass 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

The photograph at the head of that article shows terrible technique with a massive overstride enabled by excessively cushioned shoes with a raised heel.

I switched to barefoot shoes  over 10yrs ago now. The absence of cushioning and a zero drop heel enforced good technique otherwise my joints sure let me know about it.  Better walking technique led me onto to working on my running technique to the point that I was able to run without winding myself on every stride for the 1st time in my life.

Its assumed that humans learn to walk and run naturally, just like learning to talk etc. You only have to stop looking and start seeing the people around you that this is not true.

OP Godwin 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

When I was in Kalymnos last year there was a chap climbing Bare Footed, so rather than gawping, I asked him why?

He was lovely chap and he told me he started when he moved to the South of France and he does not wear shoes at all now. He reckons it is much better for his body posture and overall foot health. 
He said he started off in sandals to let his feet start to toughen up as shoes are a moist place and feet soften in them, then he gradually built up from there.
He seemed to be climbing about 8a from what I observed and he said the only problems he has are on steep slabs, where the skin may try and shear off and he prangs a foot ever 3 or 4 months.
He was walking around most comfortably on the sharp limestone and using small sharp foot holds.
It was quite odd, he had all the smartest climbing clothing on, very smart, but these mucky feet like a homeless person.
An interesting and pleasant chap.

montyjohn 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I take a bit of a hybrid approach to barefoot shoes. I like wide toe boxes so my feet can spread and zero drop as my nerves don't like all the weight on the balls of my feet.

But since we walk on so much man made hard flat surfaces, I feel I need a man made soft sole to compensate.

So I've found Altras fit the bill for me. Just wish they were more durable.

In reply to Godwin:

I used to spend my summers barefoot, so walking on gravel etc didn't bother me at all. I remember taking an inflatable boat down a French river, and then having to drag it all the way back; not a problem. I tried to walk a few yards on a fairly muddy/gravelly stream bed recently, and was hobbling in pain like an old(er...) man. Feet soft as shite now.

CantClimbTom 29 Jun 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

Soft feet are a curse, walking a distance over sharp shingle/stones barefoot with a diving cylinder on your back, that is bitterly painful and a real never-ever-again experience. Learned once... (hopefully) never repeated!

In reply to John Greatly:

Agree, walking is a skill, not sure why you got the downvote Maybe for the 10 levels bit which seems to be arbitrary and overly complicating this?

I did teach myself a slower and slightly longer pace slightly lolloping plodding gait, which covers ground quicker when walking with load. I've read several times in old mountaineering books of someone recognising someone as a mountaineer at distance, because they recognised that gait. Rocky paths or snow plods with a heavy rucksack this gait really works! But you need to learn it. I've also found "use it or lose it" I neglected this for a few years (and not been snow plodding in last few years 😭) and lost it. It's definitely a valuable skill, which needs to be maintained.

Post edited at 09:46
 kipper12 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Was it Simon  Montmory by any chance?  If so, a great bloke, I did 3 days coaching with him a while back, I dropped a 6c he sailed up in bare feet!  He certainly went everywhere barefoot, made me wince just watching.

OP Godwin 29 Jun 2023
In reply to kipper12:

I did not get his name, but looked a bit like Bear Grylls 🐻

James0101 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Chris Ensoll has a very good series of videos about walking technique  youtube.com/watch?v=qZI_keOjMig&

My biggest improvements in walking technique have come from keeping an upright posture, taking soft delicate steps using the knees as suspension and initiating movement from the hips/core. Along with using poles, light bags and training - I think good technique helps alot with reducing wear and tear.

OP Godwin 29 Jun 2023
In reply to James0101:

Thank you, that video, though short is very good. He mentions saying to ones self at the start of the day about how to walk, and this to me makes a huge amount of sense.

I am in a good place mentally now, but when feeling low, I would write a note to myself in the morning, Smile, Take responsibility, Something good will happen today, and people may laugh, but it works. In fact I find it impossible to writet the word smile, and not smile. Sooo, possibly writing a note to myself every morning for a few weeks to walk conciously, Stabley and the other things he said, may help me change the bad walking habits I have developed in the last 60years since pulling up on that Coffee Table.

I say concioulsy, because this morning as I went about my business, I was more conscious or mindful of my walking, and I noted that automatically my posture improved.
Early days, but possibly, contrary to what some people would suggest, walk is a physical skill that one can improve technique, with a little effort and thought.

Also, though I will not be engaging the services of a trainer like the woman in the OP, you have got to give her 10 out of 10 for finding a niche for herself doing something she seems to enjoy, and not sitting in an office doing a shit job she hates, good on her.

Post edited at 13:43
 James0101 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

It's a 7 part series! The other ones are on his YouTube channel.

I agree, approaching things with mindfulness and intention is better. It's good to hear how this has been useful for you

John Gresty 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

From a book on learning/teaching motor skills. 

Level 1 : Walking across an infinity large flat surface with no obstacles.

Level 10 : Walking along a defined route, on an uneven surface, with obstacles (people) moving randomly across ones path, carrying something in both arms that one cannot afford to drop (one week old baby for example)

I can remember walking Wales when one of the party said ' I though you said that it was a path' well it was to me.

John

bruxist 29 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

>Has anyone worked on their walking technique successfully?

Yes: I've had to do intensive work a couple of times when learning to walk again after major surgery (I mean very basic walking - ten, twenty metres). And I'm having to do it again at the moment after a Lisfranc injury - so a lot of physio, a lot of attention given to the smallest elements of weight distribution on the affected foot, posture, hip balance etc. It really brings into focus the ability to move smoothly on the hills that I normally take for granted, and which I now realize was partly the result of that earlier work recovering from previous injuries. But I guess you're not asking about that kind of recuperative work; more about how to walk more efficiently when youre in good shape in the first place.

The most obvious and successful technique I taught myself to do before this recent break was how to walk downhill efficiently, at speed, on a steep incline or steps (like those down Pen-y-ghent or Bleaklow). I can't recall where I found it, but I followed a guide that demonstrated how to relax and roll the hips in imitation of the way cart-horses walk downhill, and discovered after a lot of practice than it was a lot faster and easier than my habitual gait. It was worth learning, and meant I covered a lot more ground on LDWs than I had previously.

wercat 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

the chap in the picture looks like "Head up! Chest out!  Stomach in!"!

My Grandad walked like that (ex wartime/post war fireman), very upright into his mid 80s and I've always tried to do the same.

Don't Fight the Hill, it will win. (works for me for cycling too)

Post edited at 10:03
 ExiledScot 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I'd start with the feet, right shoes, inner soles etc.. find out if you pronate etc... then see if you need arch or mid foot support. Get this right and it'll make a world of difference regardless of if you're striding out on the flat or crossing a grim boulder field. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...