UKC

Kirkstone Pass Inn

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 s_critch 19 Feb 2024

Hi all,

I was hoping to access Red Screes via Kirkstone Pass Inn this Easter. It'll be the start of a few days walk so was hoping to use buses and trains. It looks like the 508 bus no longer stops at the Kirkstone Pass Inn, is this temporary or has the service changed?

Thanks!

Kalna_kaza 19 Feb 2024
In reply to s_critch:

The 508 stops at Patterdale during the winter. Resumes travel to Windermere in the spring.

From the Stagecoach website:

"Journeys to/from Windermere will return from 23rd March 2024 in our Summer timetable."

SATTY 20 Feb 2024
In reply to s_critch:

Many occasions over last year pass has been closed for monthly stretches due to some meaty road works

In reply to s_critch:

'start of a few days walk' - sounds interesting - enjoy your walk.

As others have said, the bus is seasonal.

Pedro50 20 Feb 2024
In reply to s_critch:

You could start your walk at Pooley Bridge and follow the Joss Naylor challenge to Kirkstone pass. 

Lankyman 20 Feb 2024
In reply to s_critch:

A quick Google shows that the inn is 'permanently closed' so don't expect a pre-walk pint

Godwin 20 Feb 2024
In reply to s_critch:

If there is no bus, just hitch a lift I doubt you would have to wait long.

Godwin 20 Feb 2024
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

That's the way with buses, you wait ages, and two come at once.

toad 20 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

It's currently a massive building site. Don't know what it will be when they've finished, but they seem to be retaining the Inn signs for the moment

Lankyman 20 Feb 2024
In reply to toad:

It appeared to be shut the last time I drove past in 2022. The closed pubs round my way all seem to be turning into holiday homes or swanky accommodation. I can't see that happening at 1,400 feet on the pass.

In reply to Godwin:

Very good

SATTY 21 Feb 2024
In reply to s_critch:

The 508 will not be up and running by Easter fro windermere and thus including kirkstone pass summitt until later in the year 

Pedro50 21 Feb 2024
In reply to SATTY:

The link above says 23 March.

> The 508 will not be up and running by Easter fro windermere and thus including kirkstone pass summitt until later in the year 

Abr 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

Worth noting that it looks like the pass will be fully closed for a few weeks from the start of March…

OP s_critch 01 Mar 2024

Thanks so much everyone!

Looking at the Westmorland Council website now. It says the closures are due to end on March 28th. Fingers crossed they finish on time...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...