UKC

Lake District camping April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi!! Looking to take a group out camping in the Lake District in April. I know weather/temp can really vary but would love thoughts on what conditions might be like as I’m thinking some sleeping bag upgrades might be in order!

Lankyman 10 Feb 2024
In reply to georgiaaharriet:

It can be cold so err on the side of caution. Just as important, have good insulation from the ground (ie mat). It's surprising how cold your points of contact with the ground can get if your mat isn't up to it. Good sleeping bag + poor mat = cold night.

SouthernSteve 10 Feb 2024

The relative short days - 9th April Sunrise 6:25 and sunset 7:52 can make the night long, if appropriate to the group access to a pub will greatly improve moral as it won't be just 1s & 2s in small tents. If children then I would consider Hostelling better at easter.

Lankyman's comment about insulation is spot-on

storm-petrel 10 Feb 2024

You might boil to death, you might freeze to death - hard to say this far in advance. If you are thinking of camping high on the fells and don't have the luxury of multiple bits of kit to choose from at the last minute it would probably be best to err on the side of caution. For people who really feel the cold not having adequate insulation can be miserable at best and dangerous at worst.

This is April in 2013 from Kirk Fell looking towards Gable and Great End. Not very common April conditions in recent times but certainly not impossible.

Post edited at 11:50

Billhook 13 Feb 2024

You can quite easily get below freezing temperatures at night especially in clear spring weather.

Bottom Clinger 14 Feb 2024

I’ve camped loads at Easter in the Lakes, both with work and with family. If you’re car camping, just throw in a few extra duvets. In April you’ve got plenty of daylight and on average low rainfall, great time of year for camping. 

No idea what you have in mind, and who will comprise your group, but the Borrowdale Youth Hostel allow camping in their grounds for a reasonable price (£10 per person per night) - for that you get access to their bar, common room and facilities - a good place to retreat to if the weather is bad.

If car camping then throw in some extra blankets etc, just in case it is cold at night.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...