UKC

Lovely lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pasbury 30 Jun 2023

Last weekend I visited Craiglyn Dyfi under the eastern ramparts of Aran Fawddwy.

What a wonderful spot and, by the lack of paths around it, rarely visited, as the popular way up the Arans avoids it.

What are your favourite lesser known mountain lakes, lochs, loughs and tarns?

Brass Nipples 30 Jun 2023
In reply to pasbury:

Secret, lest they get Instagrammed to oblivion.

OP pasbury 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

Yes i'm always conflicted about sharing favourite lesser known spots on t'internets. Which is a shame.

Perhaps just give clues as the lakes identity without naming names.

Mike Peacock 30 Jun 2023
In reply to pasbury:

Keeping with the Welsh theme. The Migneint has some excellent lakes; mostly they're desolate and boggy, but there is one dramatic one:
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/211176

I've also spent many happy hours tramping around Gwydyr Forest visiting all its lakes. A couple are more like marshes than lakes, but some are really nice (if you don't mind things being a bit sprucey) and seldom visited.
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3776983
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2410872

Lankyman 30 Jun 2023
In reply to pasbury:

> Perhaps just give clues as the lakes identity without naming names.

Pennington Fl*sh

Bottom Clinger 30 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> Pennington Fl*sh

You had to didn’t you. Place will be rammed this weekend. 

Myfyr Tomos 01 Jul 2023
In reply to pasbury:

For me, it has to be one of the Rhinogydd lakes - over 20 to choose from. Which one? Depends on the season and how I feel. ☺

OP pasbury 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

I'd go for Llyn Pryfed with those slabs of ancient rock all around it.

OP pasbury 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Mike Peacock:

The Migneint lake looks superb, my excuses for not doing a Migneint traverse are running out.

Lankyman 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> You had to didn’t you. Place will be rammed this weekend. 

Apologies - it was on the telly last night anyway so it'll be on the camper van circuit soon no doubt. I should add that a very special lake that needs popularising is Windermere.  I particularly love the rainy season when the owners - United Utilities - release millions of rare brown trout which then move in huge shoals down the lake. Children squeal with delight when one cheekily tries to climb onto their plastic unicorn float. Best of all, on those hot sunny days, are the luminous green algae blooms that thrive in the nutrient rich waters. You can see it from the ISS. Makes you proud to be British and brings a lump to your throat.

mountainbagger 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> brings a lump to your throat.

💩........................😃

💩.................😐

💩...........😬

💩.....😯

💩😫

🥺

🤢

🤮

Bottom Clinger 01 Jul 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Iron Man? I was going to enter, then realised I couldn’t be arsed. 

I was once running a kayak session on Windermere and spotted a dead pike in the shallows. I gathered the group around to show them, lifted the pike out, and then realised it was a stinking rotten mess which made me wretch my guts out. Bits fell off it. Truly vile. 

AllanMac 01 Jul 2023
In reply to pasbury:

Given that many of the Instagram hordes don't do grid references...

GR 734 139: Nice spot under N facing crags. Surprising lack of paths.

Also GR 807 451: A collection of tarns. Very rough wild area. Stunning scenery.

There are loads more!

Bulls Crack 01 Jul 2023
In reply to pasbury:

It was a favourite spot of mne but have not been back for decades. We used to camp as  family in Pennant. An idyllic spot in a farmer's riverside field. Beautiful hanging valley and waterfalls pools etc then some f**king forestry company/landowner blasted a track across the hillside above it, pouring soil into the pools and spoiling the remoteness of the valley upto the llyn. To add insult to injury they erected a sign saying keep out...it didn't last long after I saw it. Maybe it looks better now 30 years on

In reply to Mike Peacock:

Ah, brings back memories. The Gwydyr Forest used to be my stamping ground many years ago.

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Ah, the drama of that huge rock slab slicing into Llyn Du.

Spoilt for choice in the Rhinogydd, though.

Note to self - must do that long planned traverse from Barmouth to Maentwrog.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...