UKC

New OS App

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 pad01 12 Mar 2024

Just opened the update new app, and I can’t find my favourite routes that I had saved. Are these under a different title or just lumped in with every other route I’ve either created or downloaded from somewhere. 

In reply to pad01:

I can't help, but I'm struggling to find my downloaded paper maps... fecking software updates

rj_townsend 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

> I can't help, but I'm struggling to find my downloaded paper maps... fecking software updates

On iPhone look under Saved (bottom right) and then the tabs along the top.

OP pad01 12 Mar 2024
In reply to rj_townsend:

👍 thanks, that looks like them. 

AgentOrange76 13 Mar 2024
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

Tap on Saved bottom Right of screen

Go to top right to Paper maps.

Select the map you want - if available it will say downloaded underneath and just opens. Other wise tap Download to start downloading.

I have found that if the papermap is downloaded already then you can just select the Map icon at the bottom of the screen and  zoom and scroll to a place on that particular map and it will be there.

Dave the Rave 13 Mar 2024
In reply to pad01:

Hi pad

How do you get this new app? Mine hasn’t updated but my daughter who has just subscribed has it?

ta

Dave

Neil Williams 13 Mar 2024
In reply to pad01:

It's a bit odd to get used to.  But they have fixed the bug in the iOS version that made it too easy to rotate the map by accident, so I'm happy.  Took them long enough.

Brass Nipples 13 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Just go into your relevant App Store and tap update for the app

DaveHK 13 Mar 2024

In reply to:

There still seem to be a lot of issues with the app that really limit its usefulness.

• The snap to path function is rubbish, in Scotland at least. It doesn't snap to the paths shown and snaps to invisible lines instead.
  • No 'track up' option when following a route.
  • Doesn't give altitude with a dropped pin like it does on the browser version.

I honestly think it's a garbage app.

Brass Nipples 13 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

All these things have started with this update?

OP pad01 13 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

if I had the option to return to the previous version I would, but I haven’t used this updated version much yet  

I liked the previous version and didn’t have any issues with it  

Guess time will tell with this new version but so far I’m not too impressed  

I only use it for plotting routes or saving routes I’ve foundelse where (like here) and then transferring them to my Garmin device  

DaveHK 13 Mar 2024
In reply to Brass Nipples:

> All these things have started with this update?

No, it never had them as far as I could see. It's the sort of thing I hoped they might have included in an update but no. I basically treat it as not much more than a map viewer.

Post edited at 19:22
 deepsoup 13 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

> The snap to path function is rubbish, in Scotland at least. It doesn't snap to the paths shown and snaps to invisible lines instead.

This bit at least isn't specific to the app, or to Scotland. 

The 'invisible lines' that it snaps to are the paths as recorded on the Open Street Map, and where they disagree with the line shown on the OS map it's been my experience that they're generally a more accurate representation of where the path actually exists on the ground.

Just picking up on this - I'm finding that with the new app it takes forever for my map to load. I'm not talking waiting a second - I'm talking several, every single time I want to look something up. It's so slow now it's almost useless to use on the go. 

Plotting isn't much easier - I'm not sure why I have to go through the step, every single time, of telling I'm still on foot and not, I don't know, pogo stick.

Has anyone found a solution? 

Spready 12:42 Tue
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

I have found this too..
Kept defaulting to somewhere in the North Sea, and then when moving to North Wales, was just white screen for 3-4mins. 

In reply to Spready:

Good to know it's not just me. Sad that it seems to be an ongoing problem though! 

DaveHK 06:59 Wed
In reply to pad01:

I'm having issues with the grid ref search function. The old app allowed this without signal but the new one seems to be a bit flaky on that. I was told that it worked if you put it in aeroplane mode but that doesn't seem to work reliably. 

TobyA 12:24 Wed
In reply to rj_townsend:

It's the same with Android!

Justaname 12:47 Wed
In reply to deepsoup:

I've had it ignore those invisible lines on an outward leg, but then snap to it on the return leg, which is odd. I have found that the 'snap' feature is working much better now than it used to.

The 'Show routes' feature doesn't work on the mobile app IME, and TBH, its not a feature I'm particularly interested in. Also it doesn't show my routes, I need to go to a different menu for that.

The ability to create new routes by linking up existing routes is still absent (e.g. the first / last few miles of my runs pretty much always follow one of 3 routes), as is the ability to annotate my route with proper waymarkers / controls that I can annotate on the print-out.

RedFive 14:39 Wed
In reply to deepsoup:

I agree with this. Snap is pretty good.

Walked from Keswick to Grasmere via Greenup Edge a couple of weeks ago in biblical conditions and while the 'snapped' route looked wrong when plotting it was pretty much spot on when on the ground. The top of Lining crag to Easedale gill can be a navigational challenge in the weather we had but my Garmin Fenix 6 route from OS maps meant I didn't have to look at the map once.

I was warned several times that I would be up to my armpits in bog (lastly by a couple of fellas in the Flock Inn who thought I was mad heading up there in the weather) but there is a cracking new (?) path across Grasmere Common of huge flagstones and while they take an element of adventure away from the walk it meant a bog free 16 miles.

Not dry feet though. The path up Greenup Gill and along stonethwaite beck was torrential with many of the normally trickelling becks coming down from Long Band in spate.

Great day out!

DaveHK 14:54 Wed
In reply to RedFive:

> I agree with this. Snap is pretty good.

I think it works better in well travelled areas, it's dreadful in the NW Highlands. Open Mapping is user editable isn't it?

RedFive 15:08 Wed
In reply to DaveHK:

That could well be it. I don't get to the NW highlands as much as I would like so it is the Cheviots and Northern Lakes for me and mostly on well known routes.

kinley2 17:57 Wed
In reply to DaveHK:

I use it a bit for route planning in the NW (usually on a desktop PC).

Snap-to seems to work better in the Satellite layer than the OS layer on many occasions for me, I'm often using it to plot the locations of unmarked Stalker's paths and ATV tracks. 

In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

> Just picking up on this - I'm finding that with the new app it takes forever for my map to load. I'm not talking waiting a second - I'm talking several, every single time I want to look something up. It's so slow now it's almost useless to use on the go. 

> Plotting isn't much easier - I'm not sure why I have to go through the step, every single time, of telling I'm still on foot and not, I don't know, pogo stick.

> Has anyone found a solution? 

My solution was to pay for topogps instead, even though I get the OS subscription for free and I'm a skinflint. It's maybe not as good for plotting routes but it's quicker (I can see the map and where I am on it as soon as I pull my phone out of my pocket instead of having to wait 45 seconds) and the system for dropping and saving pins is much much better.

net 09:46 Thu
In reply to pad01:

I really like the option to minimise the overlays so you can see a full screen of map. Also in the previous version if I ever searched for a route, it would continue to show publicly available routes on the main map page which really got in the way - that seems better now.

I feel like the slow loading at the start might be whilst it loads all the 'stuff' on the home page. I'd much rather default straight to the map page.

Oh I also noticed a toggle for snap to route in the settings, which lets you toggle between use of Open Source mapping (snap in all areas) or the old National Parks only option - I wonder if the latter feels more accurate in the national parks? I've not experimented with that.

It was them changing the icon for 'find me' from the crosshairs icon to the OS arrow icon that really threw me when it first updated itself...

deepsoup 17:47 Thu
In reply to DaveHK:

> I think [snap to path] works better in well travelled areas, it's dreadful in the NW Highlands. Open Mapping is user editable isn't it?

It is - as the name suggests the open map is a collaborative 'open source' type deal.  So naturally the coverage will tend to be better where there are more people - mind, there are also fewer paths to actually 'snap' a route to in the highlands, on any map.

The upside to the collaborative nature of the open map is that if you know precisely where a path goes that doesn't appear on there, particularly one that you've walked with a GPS device and have a good GPX trail for, you can add it yourself!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...