UKC

OS app 1:25,000 coverage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 06 Oct 2023

I don't seem to be able to access 1:25,000 scale maps for parts of the Yorkshire Dales on the OS app.  Has anyone else experienced this? It's an ongoing problem rather than a one of.

There's an obvious boundary around Cracoe but other areas are affected.

AndyMusgrove 06 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Only checked the exact area you mention but it is working on my app for now. 

OP DaveHK 06 Oct 2023
In reply to AndyMusgrove:

Weird.

Lankyman 06 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Do you have full OS coverage or just individual maps? I have the latter but have always found that the maps loading up can be slow. I've just put it down to having a cr@p phone running a problematic app. Sometimes the map will load up but be 'fuzzy' at first and then sharpen up with a bit of waiting.

OP DaveHK 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I've got full coverage and it doesn't matter how long I leave it 1:25,000 doesn't load in that area. It doesn't do this any any other areas that I've found.

Ridge 06 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Fine on mine (both android phone and ipad).

Jon Read 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I find this a very annoying 'feature' of the app -- almost always have to restart it to get it to load offline maps.

Lankyman 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

Yes, there are a few 'quirks' with the app. Sometimes I set it to record my route just so I can see how far I've actually walked. Now they've added a feature so you can pause it while you're eating a sandwich. When I got back to the start, the plot had shown that I'd (apparently) flown in straight line across the River Lune and then a few km back the other way in a dead straight line. Unless I'd been abducted by aliens and had my memories wiped I've no recollection of this!

Jon Read 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

That sounds more like GPS error of your phone? (Losing a satellite)

Lankyman 06 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> There's an obvious boundary around Cracoe but other areas are affected.

Off on a complete tangent but this does vaguely remind me of a sci-fi story I read in my youth about a community which was somehow torn away from Earth and were floating somewhere in space, shielded by an invisible, impenetrable barrier. The biggest problem was that they were being terrorised by an omnipotent, all-knowing toddler who could kill them on a whim. I don't think they worked out how to resolve this problem.

stani 07 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Just checked mine on android and working all ok this side (monthly subscription)

Cheers

OP DaveHK 07 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks folks, looks like it's just me so I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling.

OP DaveHK 07 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

I've contacted OS as 1:25,000 wasn't displaying even when I downloaded a map.

Post edited at 13:03
 deepsoup 07 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Have you tried clearing your 'user data' and/or cache?

I don't know how you'd do that on an iPhone, but if you're on Android go into settings, select 'Apps & notifications', select the OS App, then 'Storage'.

There it tells you how much storage the app is using on your phone - 'user data' is your login details, downloaded maps etc.  Clear the cache, nothing to lose there.  If you clear 'user data' as well you'll have to log in to the app again and it'll have binned any maps that you previously downloaded.

I don't think uninstalling/reinstalling the app would have cleared that stuff btw.

hokkyokusei 07 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I remember that. Twilight Zone, Outer Limits or something similar.

OP DaveHK 07 Oct 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks for the suggestion, cleared cache and data then uninstalled and reinstalled but still the same problem! I await a response from os.

monkey man 07 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

It’s unfortunate my a hopeless app don’t hold your breath

deepsoup 07 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

How bizarre, and annoying!  I had a look at Cracoe on the app and no such problems here btw.

> I await a response from os.

Best of luck with that. I hope you're not holding your breath, but I think they can very occasionally be quite helpful.

OP DaveHK 07 Oct 2023
In reply to monkey man:

> It’s unfortunate my a hopeless app don’t hold your breath

It is indeed crap. I thought it was improving but it's still buggy as hell.

veteye 07 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

I was thinking of getting the OS App, but now I'm not sure that you and others would recommend it. So which App would anyone recommend?

Rob

deepsoup 08 Oct 2023
In reply to veteye:

> I'm not sure that you and others would recommend it.

I would - self evidently it doesn't work well for everyone, but it seems to be just fine for me.

(I have the subscription anyway, mostly for printing my own paper maps via the website - again there are glitches for some but it seems to work fine for me.)

tallsteve 08 Oct 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

First check your saved maps. Is it pulling up a sacred 1:50000 of the area you've forgotten you saved?

OP DaveHK 08 Oct 2023
In reply to tallsteve:

> First check your saved maps. Is it pulling up a sacred 1:50000 of the area you've forgotten you saved?

This would appear to be the problem. I don't have it currently downloaded but I previously used the code on a paper map to download Wensleydale and Upper Wharfedale at 1:50,000, the missing area corresponds to that map. Thanks!

There doesn't seem to be any way of fixing this from my end though. The map still shows in my paper maps section even though its not currently downloaded.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...