UKC

QMD Examples

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Bengsw91 08 Mar 2024

Hello ! 

I was Wondering if anyone could give a breakdown of what a QMD should look like in written form.  I've bee writing mine out and I feel like i am just going way far in depth for what is necessary. 

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you   

Ben

jezb1 08 Mar 2024
In reply to Bengsw91:

Brief route outline, brief weather info, brief anything of interest that happened.

Any more than that for your benefit only.

As an assessor I’ve got 4 people with min 40 days each. I don’t want to read War and Peace 160 times.

OP Bengsw91 08 Mar 2024
In reply to jezb1:

cheers dude ! I enjoy your videos on the YouTubes! 

appreciate the help. 

I will be in touch about ML training if that's ok ! 

jezb1 08 Mar 2024
In reply to Bengsw91:

No drama, drop us a message any time 👊

Philip 08 Mar 2024
In reply to jezb1:

> I don’t want to read War and Peace 160 times.

Out of scope any way, as it's all in Russia...

Edit - just realised who you are. You YT videos are awesome. Helped me loads getting ready for scout assessment for T2 permit - aspect of slope is one of my favourite tools now.

Post edited at 12:13
 jezb1 08 Mar 2024
In reply to Philip:

> Out of scope any way, as it's all in Russia...

😂

> Edit - just realised who you are. You YT videos are awesome. Helped me loads getting ready for scout assessment for T2 permit - aspect of slope is one of my favourite tools now.

Glad they’ve been useful 😊

StuLade 09 Mar 2024
In reply to Bengsw91:

Hey Ben,

as Jez says, assessors don't want to spend ages reading your entries, but we do need to see that the entries fulfil the criteria. A few sentences describing the dynamics of the group, roughly what route was followed and how long it took, whether it was new terrain for yourself, any mountains climbed, where nav was needed, any skills practiced or learning points, and any key decision judgements and that's all that's required.

All the following criteria should be fulfilled:

• The individual takes part in the planning and leadership.
  • An unfamiliar locality is explored.
  • A mountain is ascended.
  • Navigation skills are required.
  • Knowledge is increased and relevant skills practised.
  • Judgement and decision making is required.
  • Five hours or more journey time.

One of the simplest ways to get across route details and time taken is a GPX trace which is fairly easily done these days with smart watches and such, or even a photo of a sharpie'd route map works well if you've drawn it out as part of your planning. Generally a lot easier than typing up a long description when you're on less popular paths or away from paths entirely.

Also do log anything that doesn't meet the QMD criteria, just don't flag it as a QMD. Ultimately it's all experience that contributes to your development and reflects your experience.

OP Bengsw91 11 Mar 2024
In reply to StuLade:

thanks so much this was really helpful ! 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...