UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Sallows and Sour Howes

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Norman Hadley 20 Mar 2024
These two lesser heights, loitering at the tail-end of the Froskick-Ill Bell-Yoke ridge, are easily overlooked. Yes, you could save them for a damp day when clag covers the higher tops. You could treat them as “quick fix” hills, the route being both short and easily accessed from the motorway. But that wouldn’t do justice to a pleasant outing, with lovely views up the Troutbeck valley and over the full length of Windermere. The Dubbs Road, leading into Garburn pass, offers easy travelling over 90% of the route. In fact the Dubbs is a BOAT, a Byway Open to All Traffic, but I wouldn’t recommend doing that to your car’s springs. Or the trail. The descent is a gem, down a tiny crest of the sort of outcrops a small child could practise scrambling on during a family picnic.

6.50 miles, 10.46 km, 362m ascent, 1:30 – 2:30 hours. Windermere

Read more

Lankyman 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Norman Hadley:

A nice couple of hills. I notice Wainwright was a bit dismissive of them, comparing them (unfairly in my opinion) to the bigger, craggier stuff north of Garburn. I used to ascend them more often from the Kentmere side where it's possible to make a nice circular round using CRoW access land where rights of way give out. I haven't been up Kentmere since before lockdown so I've no idea how parking in the valley is nowadays. As a bolt-on to your route it's quite a pleasant little side trip to the minor top of 'Fusethwaite Yeat' (275m, unnamed on OS maps) which can be accessed on CRoW land just south west of Dubbs Reservoir https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4019073 )

OP Norman Hadley 20 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Interesting diversion, Lankyman. I'd always assumed that the water infrastructure put everything west of Dubbs Lane out of bounds.

And, yes, parking on the Kentmere side can be a bit fraught.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...