UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Sgurr Dubh and Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
In an area famous for some of the most impressive peaks in Scotland these two Corbetts do not exactly jump out; but what they lack in attention-grabbing grandeur they more than make up for in views of their Torridon neighbours. Occupying the northeastern section of the rugged Coulin Forest, Sgurr Dubh and Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine are remarkably rough hills, with expanses of bare rock and absorbingly complex terrain that makes for a challenging but highly rewarding circuit. If you like your hills a bit raw and untamed around the edges then this might even be one of the best of all the Corbett rounds; it certainly packs a lot into its 13km.

8 miles, 12.80 km, 1,050m ascent, 6 – 6:30 hours. Gairloch

Read more

Robert Durran 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Interesting that you chose to approach from the west. When I visited these hills last winter I took the good stalker's path from the east up through native woodland to the bealach which seemed the most obvious approach on the map. The start round Loch Clair could be cycled. Great hills!

In reply to Robert Durran:

Sure I'll go that way another time. But aesthetically I tend to prefer a circuit. The eastern approach looks nice but also more of an out-and-back maybe, less of a loop? 

Mark Bull 28 Mar 2024

The Loch Clair approach is indeed worthwhile too: it only needs to be out an back as far as the path junction about 1km SW of Coulin Lodge. You can head up the E ridge of Sgurr Dubh (leaving the path immediately after the gate out of the forestry), and return from Sgurr nan Lochain Uaine via Lochan Gobhlach to pick up the other branch of the path.  

In reply to Mark Bull:

That looks good

Fat Bumbly 2.0 28 Mar 2024

Snooker Ridge - lots of exposed rock.

Mike-W-99 30 Mar 2024

Hi Dan, revisited this pair after 16 years. surprised you managed to miss the gorge carved by the Allt nan Corrag. Its pretty impressive and it could have climbing potential (maybe already investigated due to the proximity to ling)

Forcan Reg 05 Apr 2024

These were my first two Corbetts back in 1983, whilst staying at the Ling Hut. Included Beinn Liath Mor in the outing as well.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...