UKC

Snow on Arran?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Lankyman 14 Mar 2024

We're going to Arran in a weeks time (barring gales and ferry breakdown). Does anyone know if there's much (if any) snow on the hills? Hoping to get up on the likes of Goatfell or some of the other Corbetts.

DaveHK 14 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Haven't been, haven't seen it but I'd be amazed if there was any appreciable amount of snow.

girlymonkey 14 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

It was dark when I got home today, so can't be sure, but there has barely been any all winter and we are not in a cold spell so I wouldn't expect much, if any 

OP Lankyman 14 Mar 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

I was looking over at it last April from Bute and those hills looked big and pointy

OP Lankyman 14 Mar 2024
In reply to girlymonkey:

I found a webcam on Brodick Pier and it showed about the lowest hundred metres of Goatfell and the rest obscured by clouds.

CameronDuff14 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

They are quite jaggy (and very pretty), despite the low height!

I would be stunned if there's any snow; low altitude plus them surrounded by sea means it's unlikely 

OP Lankyman 15 Mar 2024
In reply to CameronDuff14:

Yes, this is what I'm thinking. I have been on Mull at Easter and had snow down to road level. I just wish it would stop raining!

girlymonkey 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

It's currently sunny on the Costa Del Argyll. I didn't notice Arran on the way back just now, but there is a fair chance it is currently sunny too (It is at the end of our sea loch!)

felt 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

It hasn't rained for a good hour in Kendal.

streapadair 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Cir Mhor in mid-April, but it was a few years ago.

OP Lankyman 15 Mar 2024
In reply to streapadair:

That's beautiful. Never been to Arran so hoping for a few days break in the clag to get on the hills.

In reply to streapadair:

> Cir Mhor in mid-April, but it was a few years ago.

Cracking pic!

Dave Hewitt 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> I found a webcam on Brodick Pier and it showed about the lowest hundred metres of Goatfell and the rest obscured by clouds.

Is this the cam you found?

https://www.cottagesonarran.co.uk/arran-webcam/

Sunny and clear just now with no snow visible on Goatfell.

girlymonkey 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Just looked on the way home. Definitely no snow, definitely stunning weather there today and I wish I was there! 😀 Enjoy !

OP Lankyman 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Thanks. The one I found overlooked the cars waiting for the ferry and was as drab as a dull thing on a grey day (yesterday). The cars looked like they couldn't wait to get off Arran.

OP Lankyman 15 Mar 2024
In reply to girlymonkey:

If only transporters didn't just exist in Star Trek. Could you see the north aspect of the hills? One walk I fancy heads up Caisteal Abhail from the north.

girlymonkey 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes, we look south down our loch to the North side of Arran. The ridges were being picked out nicely by the sun, looking lovely but definitely snowless!

OP Lankyman 15 Mar 2024
In reply to felt:

> It hasn't rained for a good hour in Kendal.

I was in Lancaster earlier today and it drizzled the whole time. As I drove south towards home there was blue sky off to the west but the sun never appeared. It's back to universal grey now. Can't wait for the sun kissed beaches of Arran!

Dave Hewitt 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Looks like we're getting to the quite useful "snow above 1000m" stage - the usual southern-fringe suspects Ledi/Stuc/Vorlich etc are looking lovely just now with the rain having cleared and there's next to no snow visible on them, at least from the Stirling side.

fmck 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

No snow at all. Did a rock climb up Sannox just over a week ago. I can see it at the moment in fact.

fmck 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Last winter conditions were three weeks ago. Stripped fast soon after. 

girlymonkey 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Not that you asked, but there is snow on Arran today and it looks lovely 🙂 it looked really close on my way home (we recon the island moves in an out with the tides as sometimes it looks really distant, and other times it feels like we could reach out and touch it!). 

If you rush back now, you might catch it before it melts!

OP Lankyman 28 Mar 2024
In reply to girlymonkey:

We're on it now. It's our last night, leaving tomorrow. Yes, the snow looked lovely on the hills, the first clear view since last Sunday when we went up Caisteal Abhail. We could see the hills from the west coast of Arran and the stones on Machrie Moor. It's been a pretty wet week but we count ourselves lucky to have got here at all what with our ferry over being cancelled. We had to drive an extra two and a half hours to get to the Claonaig ferry. I think our return should be OK but no guarantees with Calmac.

fmck 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Sunday was nice wasn't it. I did look up on the Witches step ridge a few times thinking you might be on it but didn't see anyone. In fact Glen Sannox was empty apart from the mine track area.

Place is pretty white now but temps are still too high now for it to be much use.

girlymonkey 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

The joys of ferries in Scotland!! You will have pretty much passed my house on the way to Claonaig I understand the pain of trecking all the way around to get somewhere, it's our constant! lol. Glad you got there and hope the return leg is simpler. Weather looks pretty settled today so hopefully it will be fine.

OP Lankyman 29 Mar 2024
In reply to fmck:

We just did a shorter round from the North Sannox carpark, avoiding the Witches Step. No-one else on the hill but we could make out a few on Goatfell. Ali was a bit worried about the snow but there was barely enough to throw a snowball at her. Currently sitting in the sun beside Brodick Castle before the boat back. I don't think the snow we saw yesterday will last long.

OP Lankyman 29 Mar 2024
In reply to girlymonkey:

Looking good for sailing to Ardrossan today. We could see the MV Alfred sat in the terminal earlier. It looks a bit like a sixties Gerry Anderson creation.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...