UKC

Unnecessary scandification of English hill names

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 05 Feb 2024

Last time I was in Cumbria I don't recall hearing much Old Norse being spoken. So how come all these hills have those anachronistic, old-fashioned names. 'Scafell'? What's wrong with plain, simple Cliff Hill? And don't get me started on those half-cocked jobbies like Cross Fell obviously a sop to try and please everyone but ends up pleasing no-one.

montyjohn 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

They didn't manage to get their hands on Torpenhow Hill.

Which is a suprise as it's been renamed by every man and his dog.

We've got Old English torr, Celtin penn and some more Old English hoh. All different ways of saying hill (or something similar)

If we add some Norse in there we can call it Torpenhollhow Hill.

Or just Hill Hill Hill Hill Hill.

In reply to Lankyman:

Er, my history may be a bit hazy, but weren’t the Norse among the eariiest settlers of the wilder parts of Cumbria?? Thus the names.

OP Lankyman 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Er, my history may be a bit hazy, but weren’t the Norse among the eariiest settlers of the wilder parts of Cumbria?? Thus the names.

Not unless they were hacking the pikes about for stone for their swords. The English are in charge now and place names need updating to reflect this. Westmorland has made a recent comeback but there's a long way to go still.

rsc 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

I’m appreciating your work here.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Go Robinson

Go Saddleback

Go High Street

ExiledScot 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Brocavum, original Roman name of Brougham. There's more, those vikings can do one, we want Roman names (who started the mining for lead and copper in the Lakes).

Post edited at 11:36
 65 05 Feb 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

I suspect copper mining in the lakes goes back a couple of millennia before the Romans.

In reply to Lankyman:

Scafell Pike is an interesting mixture. Scafell being thought to be derived from the Old Norse skaga "to jut out” and fjall "mountain”, and Pike a much later Middle English addition meaning "a hill or mountain, particularly one with a sharp peak or summit".

So we have a name that means roughly "Prominent mountain mountain”

Post edited at 11:46
OP Lankyman 05 Feb 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Brocavum, original Roman name of Brougham. There's more, those vikings can do one, we want Roman names (who started the mining for lead and copper in the Lakes).

You're either trolling or missing the point completely. The Brigantes were here long before Agricola and his thugs walked in. If you go back even further everywhere was called 'Ugh'. When one caveman wanted to know where the next cave was the answer was always 'Ugh'. My point is that the English are top dogs now so everyone should use English names. Cumbria no, Lakelandshire yes.

OP Lankyman 05 Feb 2024
In reply to 65:

> I suspect copper mining in the lakes goes back a couple of millennia before the Romans.

And don't forget treacle mining and tripe quarrying in the Lancashire bit

65 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

I’m not really up on English archaeology. The Time Team excavated a pie midden but I think that was just to south of Lancashire.

ExiledScot 05 Feb 2024
In reply to 65:

> I suspect copper mining in the lakes goes back a couple of millennia before the Romans.

Quite probably, just that they were known for it. 

ExiledScot 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

>  called 'Ugh'. When one caveman wanted to know where the next cave was the answer was always 'Ugh'. 

I'd make a joke about present day Whitehaven, but it's not fair on cavemen.

OP Lankyman 05 Feb 2024
In reply to 65:

> I’m not really up on English archaeology. The Time Team excavated a pie midden but I think that was just to south of Lancashire.

Was it Wigan? I believe the ancient practice of casting pies into bogs is still adhered to there. Some of the crustiest specimens are on show and date back to the Bronze Age (around 1972 in Wigan)

Ridge 05 Feb 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> They didn't manage to get their hands on Torpenhow Hill.

Don't you go anglicising Trapenna to 'Torpenhow Hill'.

Maggot 05 Feb 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> They didn't manage to get their hands on Torpenhow Hill.

What about Ward's Knob?

rsc 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

If you go back even further everywhere was called 'Ugh'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ughill

OP Lankyman 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Maggot:

> What about Ward's Knob?

I believe the Welsh aren't keen on Lord Hereford's Knob?

Wainers44 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Saddleback, no, just no.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...