Mark Glaister - Assistant Editorwww.ukclimbing.com
Climbing writer and photographer who has travelled to crags near and far for 35+ years. Started out climbing at school with friends and survived (just!) a very traditional learning curve on the sea cliffs and inland crags of Devon. Left Devon for the North and lived between the Peak and Dales before moving on to the Lakes for work where I was based for around 20 years. During the 90's I travelled extensively with my partner at the time Emma, spending 1995 to 2000 in a van in the States, Canada, Europe, OZ and New Zealand. The last decade has been a transient one hopping between the Lakes, N.Wales, Devon and Lancs, with trips away mainly on guidebook (Rockfax) work or for articles to places such as Sardinia, Finale, Ceuse, El Chorro, Lofoten, Mallorca, Germany and Turkey. After all this travelling I have come to the conclusion that the UK is the best place for the all rounder - pubs, little travelling, proper seasons, a vibrant scene, good guidebooks, mags and websites, and cheap to get to other countries when the urge arises, oh and loads of different rock and scenery.
Best Climbing Experience
Having climbed since I was a young teen there have been a lot of standout days on the hill, but the most memorable have been with friends, sometimes going-for-it and many others just enjoying the climbs, laughs, banter and scenery. The best - possibly a long day on Bosigran followed by Cider at The Meadery and the next day baking on the beach.
Favourite Climbing-Related Discussion Topic
Asking for info on places or climbs I would love to visit or try.
Articles by Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor
- REVIEW: Edelrid Jay II and Jayne Harnesses Jan/2015
- Five of the UK's best VS Routes Dec/2014
- REVIEW: Sherpa Lakpa Rita and KritiTech Shell Jackets Oct/2014
- REVIEW: Inner Hebrides and Arran Guidebook Jul/2014
- The Primus ExpressLander Stove Feb/2013
- The Beta Stick Compact Nov/2012
- Locking Gate Karabiners With Added Safety Features Nov/2012
- World Climbing: Rock Odyssey by Simon Carter Mar/2012
- The Evolv Shaman Rock Shoe Jan/2012
- COMPARISON REVIEW: All-round Quickdraws Oct/2011
- Destination Guide to Ceuse, France Aug/2011
- COMPARISON REVIEW: Edelrid Swift, Tendon Ambition, Sterling Nano Jan/2011
- Bosigran - Cornwall's Granite Beauty Sep/2010
- Podsacs Alpine 30 Sep/2010
- Scafell, Lake District Jul/2010
- Mallorca - Jewel of the Med Mar/2010
- Costa Blanca Mar/2010
- Duddon Valley, The Lake District Jul/2005
- Brean Down Oct/2004
Interests Outside Climbing
The beach, running, reading and puzzle solving.
About My Photography
My photography started in earnest very late on in my climbing career spurred on by a chance encounter whilst modeling in Yosemite! I am far from being the greatest climbing writer and photographer but what I do try to do is produce guides and articles that I would have liked to have bought before I went. I often get asked about all things to do with climbing photography and one of the things that I tell people is that to get the shots it is about 30% technical and 70% effort, plus a bit of luck. A quick look through the profile and galleries here on UKC illustrates this well when kit possessed and images produced are compared.
Click to view Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor's gallery. (127 photos)
Chosen as the Featured Gallery on 10-May-10.
Click to search for photos of climbers called Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor.
Click to list photo comments written by me. (37 comments)
I've voted for 80 photos, average vote 4.5.
(63% superb - 23% good - 11% average - 1% poor - 0% rubbish)