UKC

Buchaille Etive - Central Buttress South Face topo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 trying.soft 18 Aug 2023

The Rockfax topo for Pontoon E1 on the Central Buttress of Buchaille Etive Mor (Scotland) is way wrong. 

It shows the upper part going left when the "black crack that splits the upper wall" is obviously straight up and clearly visible in the topo picture too. 

See topo corrected: 

https://pasteboard.co/Msh31C2TBP6Y.png

mike barnard 19 Aug 2023
In reply to trying.soft:

Their line may approximate Gravity and Grace? Pontoon starts as for Pegleg. Would be interested in if anyone's done Waterslide Gully in recent times, and whether it corresponds to the line/description in the Glen Coe guide. I struggled to see exactly where you'd depart from Waterslide Corner, and imagine it could be pretty bold!

Rick Graham 19 Aug 2023
In reply to mike barnard:

I did waterslide gully five years ago, mike, after getting confused  and backing off pegleg.

Vague memories of getting scared up an arete and sketching a downward traverse to easier ground to gain the intermediate abseil point. I think the traverse line was a lot higher than the guidebook suggests.

Rick Graham 19 Aug 2023
In reply to Rick Graham:

> I did waterslide gully five years ago, mike, after getting confused  and backing off pegleg.

> Vague memories of getting scared up an arete and sketching a downward traverse to easier ground to gain the intermediate abseil point. I think the traverse line was a lot higher than the guidebook suggests.

I would have being trying to use the 2005 scottish rock climbs , which was text only no topo.

Looking at the topo linked above , I am even more confused. 

Looking forward to a return match on pontoon and pegleg, so hopefully some accurate info will appear soon on here. Or just confirmation that alonsos update is correct.

mike barnard 19 Aug 2023
In reply to Rick Graham:

The sketch in the Coe guide is pretty accurate for Pegleg/Pontoon. It helps that the whole wall is shown, while the photo linked above misses off the bottom 15m or so (since it's hidden).

Pontoon is a great route, perhaps HVS and rivalling Bludger's for quality.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...