UKC

An oversized lockdown purchase...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nelle Tavol 06 Aug 2020

Oversized lockdown purchase of a Size 4 Friend...ordered one on the internet not realising how big it would be. Question is will I get to use it climbing in Derbyshire as a beginner or should I just return it for a smaller one...? TIA 😊 

climberchristy 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Nelle Tavol:

If you're climbing Peak grit then yes you will use it a lot. Keep it.

Suncream 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Nelle Tavol:

On beginner routes you may place it occasionally but nothing like every route. The first cams you buy should probably be in the purple-yellow (0.5-2 for camalots) range. That said, my big grey has occasionally been absolutely essential, so I would just hang onto it and buy some more, if you can afford it.

d_b 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Nelle Tavol:

You won't use it every day but it is worth keeping.

OP Nelle Tavol 06 Aug 2020
In reply to climberchristy: Thank you that’s easy then I’ll keep it - appreciate the advice 

In reply to Suncream:

Thank you 😊 really helpful 

In reply to d_b: Thank you 🧗

angry pirate 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Nelle Tavol:

Climbing lowish grade gritstone, I make it a point to place my size 4 DMM 4CU and my pink tricam on every route. It's rarely an effort.

A big cam on grit is often a godsend.

Kevster 06 Aug 2020
In reply to angry pirate:

Gotta love the pink tricam

In reply to angry pirate: 👍 no idea what a pink tri cam is but sounds like I need one! 

d_b 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Nelle Tavol:

Pink tricam is the Marmite of the climbing world. I need one but you may hate it. Probably best to borrow first.

Post edited at 23:19
 jdh90 07 Aug 2020
In reply to d_b:

I love it but it often makes my seconds curse.  Well one of my seconds shares the delight of shouting "sink the pink" with me on placement then curses when it becomes tricky to remove.

I think the red is great too but the pink is just *chef's kiss*. I'm so happy to place either of them and it's often easily done and bomber.

The emotional stress though when my girlfriend had a 20minute fight with the pink then abandoned it.  Oh my heart.  The leader of the party behind rescued my relationship, not just my gear that day.  It stays safely on my gear loop when I climb with her now.

The #4 camalot can similarly inject a lot of comedy to the day (by placing unnecessarily for the second to lug up) but is utterly irreplaceable when its needed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...