UKC

Ben Nevis Climb Christmas Day 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mnelson 28 Nov 2017
Hi all,

I'm planning on climbing Ben Nevis on Christmas day and would be very grateful for your stories of your experience, warnings, advice, gear guide.etc
I've climbed in a few locations, even smaller summits in wintry conditions, but I feel that to complete this challenge I may need to research beforehand.

Many thanks.
 Andy Hardy 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Mnelson:
Please bear in mind that the Lochaber MRT like to get steaming drunk on Christmas Eve*, so that might negatively impact their ability to rescue you should it go pear shaped on the 25th

* I made this up, edited to add the winky
Post edited at 07:31
 DerwentDiluted 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Mnelson:

No different to any other day really, but be prepared for it getting dark early.
 GrahamD 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Mnelson:

The main bit of research you will need is the weather forecast and a viable bad weather plan B. Sounds like a great plan A, though. Enjoy. Get an early start and save the drinking until you are safely down.
 JLS 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Mnelson:

You are at the mercy of the weather.
Your day could pan out as a strenuous walk with stunning views or turn into a fight for your very survival. But likely it'll just be a boring trudge in thick mist following other people that you hope know their way to the summit (and more importantly back down).
While sometimes part of the fun for the experienced walker is not knowing exactly what they are going to have to deal with, it may be dangerously difficult for those with limited experience to recognise when it's time to turn back before things get out of hand.
To be reasonably safe as a minimum you'd want to...
a) be able to navigate with map and compass in the dark / white-out conditions in order to not fall off the North face or into Five Fingers Gully.
b) have an understanding of cornices.
c) have and be be competent with the use of walking axe and crampons.
d) be carrying enough warm, water proof clothes / bivi shelter to survive in the harshest conditions you could possibly imagine should you become immobilised.
e) Have someone ready to call out Mountain Rescue should you fail to return by an agreed time.
Lusk 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Mnelson:

Take a copy of this https://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmcNews/media/u_content/Image/old_site/nevis_beari... with you.
It got me off safely once in a total white out.
Mnelson 29 Nov 2017
In reply to JLS:

Thank you for your incredibly thoughtful and rational advice. I'll be taking everything you've written on board.
 JLS 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Mnelson:

No worries. None of it is rocket science. No reason you can't get to grips with it and have a good day. Just best to be aware that bad weather isn't uncommon and could make it really hazardous if you are unlucky enough to get catch out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...