UKC

Climbing in the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ryanbhuvam 29 Oct 2018

Any UK climbers here? I'm planning a trip to the UK in August, and will have about a week in which my afternoons will be free for climbing. If you had a week for just one area, where do you recommend. 5.11 sport 5.10, or whatever strange "severe, very severe" rating system you use there.

JRJG 29 Oct 2018
In reply to ryanbhuvam:

I would suggest either the Lakes District or Pembrokeshire in South Wales. Both very different climbing scenes (Long mountain routes with spectacular scenery in the Lakes, wild and dramatic atmospheric scenes on the sea cliffs of Pembrokeshire) both incredibly satisfying in their own way. 

I’m sure other members will be along shortly to suggest many other areas. But those two would be my suggestion. 

JRJG 

GrahamD 29 Oct 2018
In reply to ryanbhuvam:

I'd say it depends what else you are planning to be doing whilst in the UK and whether you have transport whilst you are here.  If I had to pick one area I'd suggest North Wales as a mixture of traditional mountain venues, sport climbing, low level crags, sea cliffs and the weather is likely to be OK in August. 

Kemics 29 Oct 2018
In reply to JRJG:

Yeah I'd say Pembrokeshire too. I think the overall experience it offers is worth traveling for, whereas a lot of UK climbing that is well regarding would be very underwhelming for a US climber. 

Although equally you could create a northwales tick list of ultimate glory. Do some trad in the pass like get up on the cromlech, then go out to gogarth and do dream of white horses, do a few slate routes and then the snakes and ladders tour. I think if you cherry pick some routes and get lucky with the weather northwales has some truly world class climbing. But for simplicity I'd go for pembroke because you can just turn up, climb amazing routes and then go for fish and chips  

ianstevens 29 Oct 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

> I'd say it depends what else you are planning to be doing whilst in the UK and whether you have transport whilst you are here.  If I had to pick one area I'd suggest North Wales as a mixture of traditional mountain venues, sport climbing, low level crags, sea cliffs and the weather is likely to be OK in August. 

This! FWIW 5.10 is about E1 - loads of great routes at that grade. Sport routes use the French system. Plenty of both in North Wales

Dogwatch 29 Oct 2018

There's a mix of grades wherever you go. Look at the forecasts and go where it isn't raining. August is not dry on average.

If "my afternoons will be free for climbing" then I imagine what you are doing in the mornings may also be a factor?

ryanbhuvam 29 Oct 2018

I would suggest either the Lakes District or Pembrokeshire in South Wales. Both very different climbing scenes (Long mountain routes with spectacular scenery in the Lakes, wild and dramatic atmospheric scenes on the sea cliffs of Pembrokeshire) both incredibly satisfying   in their own way. 

I’m sure other members will be along shortly to suggest many other areas. But those two would be my suggestion.

thankyou

Rufus MapQuest UpToDate

Ned 29 Oct 2018

I like that the original post, on a website called 'UK Climbing', and with a title 'Climbing in the UK' begins with 'Any UK climbers here'. I think there probably will be the odd one yeah

Post edited at 19:38
In reply to Ned:

Not necessarily. Most days it’s just people arguing about Brexit and grammar....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...