UKC

Cumbria Beginner Crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 curlysam 19 Jun 2019

Hi All,

I’ve recently started climbing outdoors and was wondering if anyone could recommend some nice beginner climbs, ideally ones that have belay bolts. I basically would like a crag where I can set up a top rope anchor into pre existing bolts, using a sling and carabiners. Anywhere in Cumbria is fine as traveling isn’t a problem, but South Cumbria would be even better. I’ve been climbing at a crag near Eskdale Fishergrounds that is bolted, so something similar would be great. Link:   Outdoor Centre Crag#overview

Thanks in advance! 

Mark Eddy 19 Jun 2019
In reply to curlysam:

Steel Knotts Bluff in Borrowdale. Bolted at the top, easy angle slabs with some nice climbs from Diff - HS:

Simon Caldwell 20 Jun 2019
In reply to curlysam:

Armathwaite - no bolts, but plenty of trees suitable for top roping. It's where I learned to climb.

In reply to curlysam:

Hoad Slabs in ulverston is bolted at the top, about twice the height of the crag you mentioned in Eskdale, its a short walk in, a bunch of bolts at the top. The routes are a tad harder but still good for beginner top-roping. 

Hoad Slabs

petegunn 20 Jun 2019
In reply to curlysam:

Church Crag

Gowbarrow Crag bolts on lower crag.

Headend quarry no bolts but plenty of stakes to set up ropes.

OP curlysam 21 Jun 2019

Cheers guys! I’ll check them all out! The Hoad Slabs look interesting, and it’s on my doorstep too! ✌🏻

Dark-Cloud 23 Jun 2019
In reply to curlysam:

Have a look at Hutton Roof or Farleton, no bolts but load of threads at the top, especially Hurron Roof main wall area, not very high but a great little crag for beginners, biggest challenge at the moment will be finding a path through the bracken !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...