UKC

Guide/instructor for Perranporth / N coast area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UMNS 04 Aug 2020

Hi all

I'm on holiday in Perranporth w/c 10 August and one thing I'd like to do is to get out on the rocks either on my own, or with my 2 kids (11 and 9).

I've done some scrambling (including G3+ in Snowdonia and a learn to lead course) and a little outdoor climbing, and my kids have done a fair bit of indoor climbing and some G1/G2 scrambling.  I've a decent rack and several ropes, and the kids have helmets, harnesses, climbing shoes or suitable boots etc

However, I certainly don't know the area and I don't consider myself to be an experienced climber.  

So, I'm thinking about hiring a guide / instructor for the day so I can tap into their local knowledge for suitable routes, and help me polish my skills.

Can anyone recommend someone that might be able to fit the bill?

Alex Riley 04 Aug 2020
In reply to UMNS:

Climb Cornwall might be a good option.

www.climbcornwall.com/

OP UMNS 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Alex Riley:

Thanks - I've just dropped them a message.

Have you used them?

Alex Riley 04 Aug 2020
In reply to UMNS:

No, but Jay (whose company it is) is a very experienced and well respected member of AMI (Association of Mountaineering Instructors), I have quite a few colleagues who have been on courses with him and spoke highly.

janegallwey 04 Aug 2020
In reply to UMNS:

Another option would be Stu Bradbury - local legend and could certainly show you some good climbs around that area.

http://www.wall-crawler.co.uk/

aostaman 04 Aug 2020
In reply to UMNS:

Pete Greening lives in and around Perranporth. Highly recommended

https://www.kernowklimber.co.uk/

Snyggapa 04 Aug 2020
In reply to janegallwey:

+1 for Stu Bradbury from personal experience

Sayon 04 Aug 2020
In reply to UMNS:

Pete Greening is on the doorstep, and has loads of knowledge of the area and instructing experience. His website is something like Kernow Klimbing iirc

Edit- someone beat me to it- KernowKlimber

Post edited at 16:28
 BuzyG 04 Aug 2020
In reply to UMNS:

Jay at Climb Cornwall is a great instructor. Have been on a few courses with him and have another booked.  Thoroughly recommend him.

https://www.climbcornwall.com/courses

james mann 04 Aug 2020
In reply to UMNS:

Pete Greening, Stu Bradbury and Jay Jackson are all experienced MIA holders who would provide you with fantastic and memorable days out tailored to requirements and abilities. I know all of them and would unreservedly recommend each of them. 

James

Post edited at 17:37
OP UMNS 12 Aug 2020

Thanks all.

I've got a day booked with Jay for this coming Friday. 

I'll have my 2 daughters with me and the focus is on taking my scrambling leading skills into a climbing context. 

Really looking forward to it and the weather will hopefully play along!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...