UKC

Harness advice for a big lad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
the immoveable belayer 17 Dec 2019

hi, I went scrambling for the first time in years recently with a friend and wore a borrowed sit harness as there were a couple of (for me) difficult moves that my friend belayed me on. Brilliant day and I intend to do much more as I continue my life change from an obese corporate desk jockey to a stress free retired dirtbag.

Having added far too many kilos to my already bulky frame over the years I did find it hard to seat the waist belt above my hips and it felt as if the whole thing might slip off in a fall unless it was so tight I could bearly breathe.

Am I being sensible to consider adding a chest harness until the weight loss plan makes my waist narrower than my hips again? or are full body harnesses a better bet? Or am I just over complicating things.

Any advice will be welcome thanks.

David55 17 Dec 2019
In reply to the immoveable belayer:

Don't give up  on conventional sit harnesses yet. Most climbers are  skinny  efforts, but not all of us are. There are  harnesses which will fit big lads (like me.)

I  suggest  you  get to a good climbing  shop with a decent range and staff members who know about them. A day in Keswick where there are several  good suppliers would get you sorted.  

Don't buy from a shop that doesn't  have lots for you to  try. Don't  buy online  as you can't try them with someone knowledgeable  to help.

Albert Tatlock 17 Dec 2019
In reply to the immoveable belayer:

As a climber of generous portions I would recommend a Petzel Corax 

Neil Williams 17 Dec 2019
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> As a climber of generous portions I would recommend a Petzel Corax 

Same - pushing 20 stone at the moment and that's what I use.  Make sure you get the larger size, there are two sizes (1 and 2 I think).

I don't use a chest harness as I have very heavy legs so am very unlikely to invert - if you're the other way round you might want to consider it.

By the way...for the heavier climber with a lighter belayer the Edelrid Ohm is wonderful for sport and indoor leading!

Post edited at 20:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...