UKC

Mt Blanc Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alex123456789 23 May 2018

Hello,

We are a pair of hill-walkers / rock-climbers.   We are planing to travel to the Alps and climb Mt Blanc via the classic route on the weekend 18-19 August 2018.  We have places reserved at the Goutier Hut.   We are looking for a guide / experience climber who has climbed Mt Blanc previously and would be interested in being our guide. 

Please get in-touch for further info.

Alex

Mark Haward 23 May 2018
In reply to alex123456789:

https://www.bmg.org.uk/activity/alpinism/ would be a great starting point.

Bob Aitken 23 May 2018

Assuming yours is a genuine enquiry .... you could usefully search this Forum for Mt Blanc threads - there are probably at least a dozen that are directly relevant to your ambitions.  You're likely to find that no guide and probably no 'amateur' climber will take you on for a Mt Blanc ascent except as the culmination of at least a full week's alpine training and acclimatisation. 

This isn't just a step up, it's a step change.

pec 23 May 2018

Have you checked the weather forecast for those dates?

Sorting out a guide first would probably have been a better approach!

GrahamD 24 May 2018

What you propose is possible, I've plenty of friends who have done the Gouter route by themselves as pretty much their first alpine ascent after only a year of climbing.  However don't expect someone to guide you for free unless you are very lucky.  You will either need to hire a proper guide or get to the stage where you feel self reliant enough to do it unguided.

alex123456789 24 May 2018

Thank you for the replies and the pointers.

Yes, I have been to high mountains but not to that altitude. The highers climbs I have done so far was to 4200m. 

The classic route is not that technically difficult - reading descriptions this is mostly walking with scrambling in some places:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jul/06/-sp-climbing-mont-blanc-alps...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/how_to_climb_mont_blanc_-_...

Still, I would prefer to be in the company of someone who has been to the summit before, and the weather there is highly changeable.  Thus this enquiry.  

Dark-Cloud 24 May 2018

It might be useful to inform everybody of which 4200M peak you have done before to get some idea of your technical capability then the MB ascent could be judged on that ?

Jimbob11 24 May 2018

Equally the guide could do that and decide if it's a suitable objective over the UKC massif. Get in contact with a few.

Try the BMG website, plenty of Chamonix based British Mountain Guides, Andy Perkin, Alpine Guides have a pretty big team with some very experienced and super cool guys!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...