UKC

New to running/climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jez_Hunter 05 May 2020

Hi! I live in the Bristol/Avon area, I grew up almost literally in the woods (not near Bristol) and trained/worked in forestry so I am well accustomed to the risks and dangers of activity in woodland and forest, but I want to increase my fitness by incorporating my sense of belonging in woodland. I'm looking to do some trail running off track, but also an element of free running with possibly a small amount of climbing. If you know the Avon and Somerset area you know even away from the gorges it can be craggy with small drops up to 12 feet, so posing a little challenge and variety without the considerable danger of, say, Cheddar gorge.

I'm looking for trail shoes that are also good with a little climbing. Is this normal in trail shoes, ie I won't have to specifically look for such a quality, this is a normal attribute? Or will I have to find a shoe that's designed for some vertical travel? Hope this isn't asking too much, too early on. I do have running shoes but a) they're inaccessible in a gym locker b) I want to keep them clean and separate from this sort of exercise.

Derry 05 May 2020
In reply to Jez_Hunter:

La Sportiva released this shoe recently https://www.lasportiva.com/en/tx-guide-1 which is more designed as an approach shoe, but they describe it as a good shoe for a run/walk/climb approach. So it may suit your needs. You can see it has good sole for traction but also a toe section for better purchase on edges. Whether that lasts long once you've been running in them, who knows? But browse their site, there are lots of trail running options too. I've gotta admit, I've been tempted to get some.

Hooo 05 May 2020
In reply to Jez_Hunter:

5.10 do a bunch of approach shoes with soles that are climbing shoe rubber cut with lugs. I have a pair of Exum guides that are great on rough ground and mud and I've climbed up to Severe in them. The  Exums are probably too heavy for running, but check out their other shoes for a lighter version.

Jez_Hunter 06 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

That's a lot more expensive than I was really hoping to spend. I'm not going for speed or long distance as much as variation, is there anything around half that price tag (ie not over £80) that is still any good? Or is this just an expensive hobby to be taking up?

Iamgregp 06 May 2020
In reply to Jez_Hunter:

There wqas a bit of a roundup of approach shoes a while back https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/footwear/approach_shoes/approach_shoes-1158... (although some of these might not be quite what you'rte looking for) but as you can see the prices from a lot of these brands are pretty hight.

I think Salomon make some trail shoes which are a bit more resonably priced, I'd check them out, you might not see them mentioned as much in the climbing press as they're more from a snowsports background than climbing.

Post edited at 12:07
 MischaHY 06 May 2020
In reply to Jez_Hunter:

These are in line with what you're looking for and can be had for £90ish :

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-access-knit-men%27s-approach-shoe/BT...

The problem is that you want them to be reasonable for running AND easy climbing which is very niche. Either or is simple and can be done cheaper. 

A very workable alternative is doing the soloing barefoot which works really well on easy climbs and also avoids spreading mud all over the rock. It depends on the rock type you're planning on soloing. I used to do this on grit quite happily but sharp lime is a different story. 

Personally these days I prefer a simple light pack with a pair of shoes, a bar and something to drink. Facilitates longer adventures and massively reduces the chance of decking, due to using the correct kit. 

Iamgregp 06 May 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

(to the OP) it must be noted that Mischa is a f*cking beast, and so normal humans may not be able to follow his example!

Derry 06 May 2020
In reply to Jez_Hunter:

Yeah that's the problem with a new shoe, its going to take a while before the price comes down to most peoples affordability. Hence why I'm tempted, but haven't got any yet. As said above, adidas are venturing into approach shoes too. Depends how much performance you want for climbing really. For anything difficult you really need an edge, but if it's just easy scrambling then most trail shoes will get you up the easiest stuff. https://www.adidas.co.uk/approach-shoes

I've got a pair of 5.10 access shoes which were a steal on Rock&Run a while back. Mainly as they were a dorothy inspired ruby red... but for £35, I grabbed them. Would they make great trail running shoes? No. Are they the best approach shoes? Nope again. But they'd do the job for both. 

Graeme Hammond 06 May 2020
In reply to Jez_Hunter:

No idea if they were good to run (i don't run) however i got a deal on some Innovate Rocklite trail running shoes (non gore version), a quick google reveals they can be got for under your price bracket. I did a lot of mountain crag approaches in them and easy climbs, really good and grippy. might be worth a look. Not the best durability but i did hammer them!

mountainbagger 06 May 2020
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

> No idea if they were good to run (i don't run) however i got a deal on some Innovate Rocklite trail running shoes (non gore version), a quick google reveals they can be got for under your price bracket. I did a lot of mountain crag approaches in them and easy climbs, really good and grippy. might be worth a look. Not the best durability but i did hammer them!

Yes, good call. I used mine for trail runs but also long days walking and scrambling (which is similar to the OP but more sedate!) and loved them for that. Felt secure on most surfaces.

Hooo 06 May 2020
In reply to Derry:

I have a couple of pairs of 5.10 Access from that deal, as do lots of people I know! I use them as my everyday shoes, but I  can't run in them. Not bouncy enough for hard ground and lugs too small for soft ground. That might be just me though.

To the OP. If you can wait a bit it's definitely worth signing up to Rock and run's mailing list. They have great deals on shoes but they go fast when they come on sale.

wbo2 06 May 2020
In reply to Jez_Hunter: All the 5.10 shoes are awful for running at best.  IF you can get them I have a pair of Salomon XA Pro that are pretty exactly what you describe as an example . Adidas Kanadia, Salomon something else but NOT speedcross.  Inov8 I have no idea as they don't work for me.  You likely don't want any of the really 'fell' orientated shoes as they're harsh for general running

If you want something that climbs ok , try them for size and don't get them too big as excessive room round the toes makes them absolutely useless 

dr_botnik 08 May 2020
In reply to wbo2:

I'd agree, I've tried running with 5.10s in the past and it was a horrid experience. I've found the la sportiva running style shoes still have decent rubber and i felt confident enough running up easy grades in both them and my innov8's (paid about £100 for each of these brands but they lasted a few years)

Jez_Hunter 08 May 2020

Thanks everyone! Real energy bars for thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...