UKC

New to the UK Climbing Forum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BuzyG 09 Jun 2020

Hi there, thought I would introduce myself to the forum.  I'm not exactly starting out.  But after 40+ years away from climbing, surfing can do that to you, I took up the challenge again a few years back.  Being in the west country I spend much time simply hill walking on the moors to stay fit.  Promoted by my son I joined the local climbing hanger 2years back and was starting to get there.  After a fantastic day, on a BMC ready to rock course last year and a spot of Alpine climbing in NZ, I was all up for finally getting back into things properly this summer.  Alas Covid has scuppered those plans and it's back to lonely treks on the moors to try and stay fit at the moment.

Anyway that's me.  It's a great site I've been using it a lot the past two years, to relearn things I had long forgotten and much more, so probably about time I said hello.

Doghouse 09 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Welcome

Clauso 09 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Welcome.

You'll find a potted history of the last couple of decades for the site here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/the_pub/poll_of_polls-720579

bouldery bits 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Clauso:

> Welcome.

> You'll find a potted history of the last couple of decades for the site here:https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/the_pub/poll_of_polls-720579

Every new user should be forced to read this.

bouldery bits 09 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Welcome.

You can check out but you can never leave.

Darron 09 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Actually you may already have achieved a record. “40+ years away” and thence to return is going to take some beating!

............I should point out that, by the nature of UKC, somebody will be along soon to do just that. Anyway, Hi!

Post edited at 21:45
 Siward 09 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Welcome. I love it here and have visited (admission) virtually daily for years. However, at the moment I'm finding it a combative, screwed up and unfriendly place to be. Echoes of the world I guess, but it has been, and will be, so much better than this. 

OP BuzyG 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

For warned is for armed.  I'll try to keep my powder dry, till I get to know the place.

Slarti B 10 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

> For warned is for armed.  I'll try to keep my powder dry, till I get to know the place.

I think you mean "forearmed is forewarned".  By the way, do you really need that comma after "dry"?

Post edited at 00:17
 brianjcooper 10 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Welcome.

Graeme G 10 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Welcome. Kevin Bridges sums up social media quite nicely, IMO

vimeo.com/357172550

OP BuzyG 10 Jun 2020
In reply to Slarti B:

> I think you mean "forearmed is forewarned".  By the way, do you really need that comma after "dry"?

>  

Oh this could be a fun place.

McHeath 10 Jun 2020
In reply to Slarti B:

> I think you mean "forearmed is forewarned".  

Nope. It's always good to forewarn (and forewarm) your forearms. 

Derry 10 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

welcome. general forum rules, don't say things like:

but what's he/she done on grit?

the peaks instead of peak district,

anything to do with bolting a trad crag or saying things like 'well you can just climb it without clipping the bolts'

Anything to defend Boris

Anything to defend Brexit

.... and yeah, you'll be fine

Trangia 10 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Welcome

Please ignore the moron ( unfortunately there are a few on this site) who ignored the convention that newcomers are not to be treated unfairly and chose to give your perfectly reasonable post a dislike.

Slarti B 11 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

> Oh this could be a fun place.

Sorry, it was late and I was fed up and couldn't resist a bit a bit of irony.  It was tongue in cheek , honest...

Anyway, welcome back to climbing though you could have picked a better time.   Hope you can get to enjoy some of that lovely Cornish granite this summer. As a Londoner, I am really envious.  

OP BuzyG 12 Jun 2020
In reply to Slarti B:

Tis good stuff.

Or at least, if my soft office hands ever toughed up enough, it will be. 

I hope those commas are placed correctly.  

MisterPiggy 17 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

Welcome Buzy !

jayjackson 18 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

I’m glad the BMC course was so good for you - it was a superb day at Trewavas as I recall and a pleasure to deliver it!

welcome to the forum, sure we’ll cross paths on some Cornish rock again soon. 

Best, 

Jay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...