UKC

Snowdon in April holidays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
C.Hayes86 24 Mar 2018

Hi. I'm going up snowdon on the Thursday 12th April which as it turns out is when schools are off. Could anyone give me an insight as to what it will be like for parking at pen y pass? We don't plan on getting there til about half 9, but personally I think it be best to get there earlier. 

In reply to C.Hayes86:

9:30 sounds a bit optimistic. There is also a park and ride Sherpa bus that runs out of Llanberis and Nant Peris that will drop you at Pen y Pas, If I remember right the bus only charges £1 but the parking will cost more, I'm not sure how much.

It's a scenic bus journey and adds interest to the day.

C.Hayes86 24 Mar 2018
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Thanks for that. I've now suggested to everyone we leave earlier and hope to get there by 8. Also now thinking of parking at llanberis as parking looks far more accessible 

pasbury 24 Mar 2018
In reply to C.Hayes86:

Or you could try the spaces near the Pen-y-Gwyrd towards Capel Curig, after a hundred yards they’re free and should be empty at 8.30. Just the plod from there to the pass to endure (road still better than the new path in my opinion).

richprideaux 24 Mar 2018
In reply to C.Hayes86:

8am will probably be too late for Easter Weekend at PyP. 

There's the (pay and display) laybys down by the Pen y Gwryd pub to the east, and a decent path linking the two.

Consider the other routes too - Rhyd Ddu is probably going to be one of the quietest routes up and has some great views to the south. The parking on the edge of the village rarely fills up entirely.

Mark Haward 25 Mar 2018
In reply to C.Hayes86:

Likely to be heaving and car park full very early. If you are set on Snowdon ( many other beautiful peaks and areas ) perhaps consider one of the routes from the start of the Watkin or Rhyd Ddu paths. 

C.Hayes86 28 Mar 2018

Thanks for your replies. Don't have much say in the route as I'm doing it as part of a group and the organiser is set on the miners path. I've managed to sort out an earlier start so hoping to get there for 8 at the latest and hoping to either on pen y pass car park or on the layby nearby

profitofdoom 28 Mar 2018
In reply to C.Hayes86:

> so hoping to get there for 8 at the latest and hoping to either on pen y pass car park or on the layby nearby

As others have said, I would not attempt to park in the Pen Y Pass car park that week unless I got there very, very early - certainly before 8 AM

Hope you have a good trip

ianstevens 28 Mar 2018
In reply to pasbury:

> Or you could try the spaces near the Pen-y-Gwyrd towards Capel Curig, after a hundred yards they’re free and should be empty at 8.30. Just the plod from there to the pass to endure (road still better than the new path in my opinion).

Please don't walk up/down the road, it's dangerous and there is a fully functioning and perfectly nice path. Furthermore, I assume the "free" spaces you refer to are just at the side of the road? Parking here 1) ruins traffic flow and 2) will result in you paying £30 to park for the day, in the form of a ticket. Park in the park and ride in Nant Peris and get the bus. Yes, it costs about £5 but most of this goes back into the national park anyway.

Post edited at 11:55
 spenser 28 Mar 2018
In reply to C.Hayes86:

It sounds like your organiser needs to consider more factors in their route planning to me.

As various other people have suggested park in Nant Peris, other option is to park in one of the lay bys as you head down toward Nant Gwynant from Pen Y Gwyrd. Parking on the side of the road is dangerous and screws up traffic flow.

Mike Peacock 28 Mar 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

Agreed about walking up the road. I assumed the free parking mentioned is over the county border in Conwy on the Capel road.

random_watcher 28 Mar 2018
In reply to C.Hayes86:

Why not park in Llanberis and get the bus up to Pen Y Pass,  go up the miners track and down the Llanberis path to where you left the cars. This way you can see two sides of the mountain and don't have to worry about the car park being full. 

pasbury 28 Mar 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

Oh that's me told!

The parking is towards Capel Curig, on verges specifically made to be parked on. They're just out of the metered zone. At least that's what I did one year ago.

As to walking up the road; I've been doing it for forty years so I guess old habits die hard. And I'm still alive too.

C.Hayes86 28 Mar 2018
In reply to spenser:

I feel like I'm trying to organise this walk more than he is. I have arranged with the group going in my car to get there earlier where as the guy organising is still insistent on getting there around 10. I'll try the car park first then try the layby's. There's 4 of us in the car so we can split parking cost 

C.Hayes86 28 Mar 2018
In reply to random_watcher:

That sounds like a good idea. Sadly everyone going had a meeting about it yesterday to discuss details but I couldn't make it. It does feel very disorganised to me. Maybe if we do it again I can organise it and do it that way round 

spenser 28 Mar 2018
In reply to C.Hayes86:

By the sound of it you'll end up doing something more enjoyable then as I'd be very surprised if you find spaces at 10AM. The Rhyd Ddu path is lovely and far quieter, largely following a broad ridge, the Watkin passes along the sides of a wild feeling and quite secluded valley.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...