UKC

Where to go this winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BenRoll 15 Dec 2017
I'm a bit of a new climber, only just started leading sport and have never touched a trad lead... But i have been to the alps twice and have managed to top the Lagginhorn

I'm stuck on what to do this winter, as i really want to get out and do some climbing, but i'm not sure where to go an what to do.

My aspirations are to head to the alps and hopefully do the Cosmiques Arete as this was one of the routes that really inspired me, and made me want to get out into the alps. But the main goal is to move onto ~AD/AD+ ground for the first time.

Since i can't really learn how to trad lead (no competent partners) i was looking at either heading to Scotland for the winter, or heading to El Chorro and doing a week or two of sport climbing. And then in march or so i would need to book onto a learn to lead course with a provider.

I feel at this time going sport climbing would be more beneficial, but i just wanted to see what others thought would be more beneficial for me to do, to help get onto harder ground in the alps.
 Rob_Morris1996 15 Dec 2017
In reply to BenRoll:

In my opinion, probably the best thing you could do right now is try to get to know as many people as possible who are interested in what you want to do. That way, when the weather gets better you will already know people who want to get out, and with whom you will have built up a reasonable relationship with. If you find people with similar ambitions, then you will be more likely want to climb with each other, and train/prepare for certain things.

From your profile I can see you're in Leeds, a quick google search comes up with the Leeds Mountaineering Club: http://leedsmc.org Clubs are usually a great way to learn new skills as their members are often more than willing to take people out and teach.

Leeds Uni Mountaineering Club may also be of use to you, get in touch with them, I'm sure they'll have various facebook pages and emails. Alternatively if you're heading to uni anytime soon, look for a mountaineering club there.

Regards to alpine skills, which you might already know, if not - the Jonathan Conville Mountaineering Trust run alpine mountaineering courses which teach the basics of glacier travel and crevasse rescue etc. http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-conville-alpine.php

I've never been proper sport climbing outside of the UK (or in the UK, really), so I can't comment too much on that, however if you just want to go climbing soon it's probably your best bet! I'd rather save my pennies for the kit and time needed to go alpine climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...