UKC

camelback platypus help needed on another website

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sutty 14 Sep 2004
Can anyone help with the query on here, someone needs a drinking system but cannot bite hard enough to use the normal system. Someone must have adapted these themselves so please.

http://www.youreable.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=3&thread=14878
 Allan Thomson 14 Sep 2004
In reply to sutty:

I'm sure I've seen little plastice taps somewhere (Just trying to remember where - think it was in Biology). What about replacing the bite valve with one of those?
 L.A. 14 Sep 2004
In reply to sutty: you have email!
 NIGBEE 15 Sep 2004
In reply to sutty:

blackburn (i think) make a drink system like camelback but instead of biting you push a button in the middle of the valve with your tongue if this is any good.

sutty, i am humbled, my problems are nothing, thanks

nig
Anita 15 Sep 2004
In reply to sutty: I have one made by Hyropack (?) that has the pull out bit in the middle, rather than bite but you still have to suck.
jees that sounds bizarre...
OP sutty 15 Sep 2004
In reply to Anita:

I think that Lindsay is sorting something out for them, thanks to him for the service he gives.
OP sutty 15 Sep 2004
In reply to NIGBEE:

Some of the problems people have on that site are things normal people never think of. Imagine going to the pub and then finding you could not use the toilets, something they have put up with for years. Want to use a hotel, b+b, youth hostel, well you might get into 3% at the moment, and the hotel will normally start at £80 a night. Not very good if you are living on benefits. Wamt a holiday when severely disabled? start looking at a caravan holiday in Britain or pay £500+ a week for one with full facilities, plus air fares.
TLB 15 Sep 2004
In reply to sutty: Having recently been forced to using a wheel chair myself I can totally agree with what your saying, loads of things that we take for granted in our everyday life become near impossible for the diabled, for example all pavements slope for drainage purposes and to allow cars to cross them to get to there drives, unfortunately when your trying to wheel your chair your constantly fighting that slope to stay in a straight line. B*ggers that park half on the pavement don't help either.

I personally think that all architects, and town planners should be forced to use a wheel chair as part of their training maybe then they would realise just how difficult things are for the disabled and would plan things accordingly.

So when you watch the para olympics later this month marvel at how hard these people have had to work to become the athletes they are.
OP sutty 15 Sep 2004
In reply to TLB:

Paralympics is another thing, 1.5 hours of highlights on tv a day. That will hardly cover the gold medals the Brits get on previous form. Compare that to some sports where they give that amount of time to the run up to the event.

Did you know that although the olympic crew got free trainers to wear paralympic competitors only had theirs provided at cost. Same with a lot of their other clothing too, provide it yourself. Double standards. Let us hope the transport to the competitions are sorted out, 8 years ago some people arrived late for events as the buses needed did not turn up on time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...