UKC

Winter Events: Best Of Kendal, Kenton Cool

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 MattH 28 Sep 2004
OP MattH 29 Sep 2004
In reply to MattH:

Details are firming up for the Petzl Roc Trip. All being well there will be a big party at the Earl Of Arundel Pub on Queens Road (in Sheffield) on Sat 16th October.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH:
Why's everything in Sheffield?
OP MattH 01 Oct 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Hi Simon,
Bottom line: i live in Sheffield. I know where to go to put up posters, who to talk to to spread word about the lectures, etc etc. My experience last winter of running a tour around the country was mixed. Apart from Bristol and perhaps Bangor we didn't get audiences big wnough to make it worthwhile going back. I am trying to interest people in these places to organise the lectures themselves. Having somebody psyched organising a local event is vital. I am in communication with people in Newcastle, Bristol, The Lakes, Sevenoaks and a few other places too.

Sorry it's so Sheffield based, but at the end of the day I need to make at least some money out of this venture and Sheffield is where I get the biggest audiences.

In my defence, not everything is in Sheffield - Jamie andrew is lecturing in Sevenoaks, Leo is off to Denmark, and Ben, Steve and Ian will be off to Italy and Switzerland in January. Not exactly in your neck of the woods I know, but I am workng on it!

If you fancy organisning something get in touch! I can sort you out with a speaker and give plenty of advice on how to run a succesful event.

Hope that's a satisfactory answer.
Cheers
MattH
 jongriffith 03 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH:
> (In reply to Simon Caldwell)
>
> I am in communication with people in Newcastle, Bristol, The Lakes, Sevenoaks and a few other places too.
>

Please sort something out for Bristol. Been some time since we've had someone down for an inspiring lecture!
OP MattH 04 Oct 2004
In reply to jongriffith:

Hi Jon,

Try contacting Mark at Geronimo Sports in Bedminster. He has expressed an interest in organising lectures, but may need some encouragement. He sponsored the lectures that I organised down there last year.

Cheers,
Matt
OP MattH 04 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH:

I just updated my website with the following text regarding the Petzl Roc Trip:

On Monday October 11th a supremely strong team of Petzl sponsored climbers will descend on the Peak District for the latest Petzl Roc Trip. The team:

Alize Dufraisse
Gerome Pouvreau
Tony Lamiche
Isabelle Carrier
Franois Lombard
Liv Sansoz
Arnaud Petit
Loic Gaidioz
Kenny Gonzales
Phillipe Ribiere
Nicolas Nastorg
Romain Pagnoux
Fred Tuscan
Said Belhaj
Stephane Troussier
Stephan Denys (photo)
Laurent De La Fouchardiere (video)
Chloe Minoret
Guillaume Broust (video)
Jerome Meyer

Steve McLure, Ben Moon, Lisa Rands and Wills Young will be around, guiding the foreign contingent from boulder to crag. If you fancy hooking up with the team to go climbing, watch masters at work, or just pick up an autograph (!), check out this website (www.heason.net) each morning to find out where they are going. I'll do my best to update it by around 10am. Everyone is welcome - the more the merrier.

On the Saturday evening (16th Oct) a film showing and big party will take place at the Earl of Arundel and Surrey on Queens Road in Sheffield. All welcome. Late licence applied for - fingers crossed.

Now all we need is some good weather!
 Simon Caldwell 04 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH:
Fair enough, I may make the effort to come down to Sheffield for at least one of them.

As for organising something myself, my experiences of such things in the past led me to promise myself never to even think about doing such a thing again. So far I've had no trouble sticking to my promise
OP MattH 04 Oct 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Chicken
Kenton Cool 05 Oct 2004

Sun nite I'll be speaking on '10 years of suffering' basically a round up of expeditions from round the world from the alps to everest. Photos from a number of people including Baba Parnell. Some of these to music so I won't bore the pants off you all nite with my babble.
Hoping it'll be good(it will be) as I'm kinda worried as its the first time I've talked in Sheff and expecting flying fruit.
See Ya sun boys and girls
KC Xx
OP MattH 06 Oct 2004
In reply to Kenton Cool:

Beardown Productions have just delivered the video which'll be shown for the first time on Sunday night. It's Good!
 Tom Briggs 08 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH:

Short piece about Kenton and Sunday's lecture in the Sheffield Telegraph today.
 Dan_S 11 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH:
> (In reply to Simon Caldwell)
>
we didn't get audiences big wnough to make it worthwhile going back.

From what I remember the Manchester ones didnt seem to be that well advertised. Perhaps that explains the low turnout?
 BrianT 11 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH: Top evening, really enjoyed it. Keith was amusing, but Kenton was a scream! He really brought the house down (on boulderers and beanies: "Come on lads, it's not f*cking cold!").

Loved the Beardown video too. Nice to see some genuinely funny falls in a grit climbing video.
OP MattH 11 Oct 2004
In reply to Dan_S:

Hi Dan,
The Manchester talks were adevrtised to the local clubs, walls and shops. Posters and email s were sent to all of them. There was coverage in the local papers, all the climbng mags and a dozen or so websites and forums, oh, and at the Kendal Film Festival.

I am a little mystified as to why they weren't better attended.

MattH
OP MattH 11 Oct 2004
In reply to BrianT:

Thanks Brian,
Glad you enjoyed yourself. I thought it was a great evening too. Looking forward to the next one.

MattH
OP MattH 11 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH:

For anybody interested in the Petzl Roc Trip check out the news item on planetFear:

http://www.planetfear.com/news_detail.asp?n_id=5143

MattH
OP MattH 12 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH:

I refer you to the folliwng link detailing the party on Saturday night:

http://www.heason.net/HTML/Current%20Events/Heason%20Events%20Current%20Eve...

Be one of the first hundred people thgough the door and qualify for a free beeeeeeer.
OP MattH 12 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH:

Tickets for the Best Of Kendal evening tomorrow night are close to seeling out.

dinkypen 12 Oct 2004
In reply to MattH:

FYI, the image on the Petzl Ropc Trip page (linked to your front page) is not coming forward.
OP MattH 13 Oct 2004
In reply to dinkypen:

Thanks for that. Not sure what was going on there, but it works now.

akbar 04 Jan 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell: i am rock climbing the iran

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...