UKC

Why is Arc'teryx so Expensive

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jamiemcp 11 Oct 2004
Why is this gear so expensive ? Is it that much better made than other manufactures
pete theobald 11 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp:

don't know but guessing its to do with the quality and that it all looks bloomin' gorgeous. How gutted am i at losing my arcteryx harness? (bugger)

Pete
Tobs at work 11 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp: it is to do with the apostrophe and use of the letter x
jamiemcp 11 Oct 2004
In reply to pete theobald:
what a bitch. I agree with you it doses all look bloddy sexy
pete theobald 11 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp:
> (In reply to pete theobald)
> what a bitch. I agree with you it doses all look bloddy sexy

you got a cold?
 Jenn 11 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp:
> Is it that much better made than other manufactures

Yes. Worth every penny, however, best bought in the US - much cheaper.

TRNovice 11 Oct 2004
In reply to Jenn:
> (In reply to jamiemcp)
> [...]
>
> Yes. Worth every penny, however, best bought in the US - much cheaper.

Like 70% cheaper on some articles (depending on the exchange rate) - I guess that it would be even cheaper in Canada.

Ramon Marin 11 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp:
because, at least the jackets, are dead good designed
Mick's Daughter @ Work 11 Oct 2004
In reply to ramon marin martinez:

> because, at least the jackets, are dead good designed

They sure are. I've almost considered wearing mine down the pub ;~D

WillH 11 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp:

because it's very well designed, very well put together, it lasts forever, and generally supercool. My jacket's been properly abused and worn most days for three years and it's pretty much like new still. Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y.
 Ramon Marin 11 Oct 2004
In reply to Mick's Daughter @ Work:
My girlfriend is about to leave me, she can't stand me being in bed with the jacket.
Choices of life, you see...
In reply to ramon marin martinez:

Glad you've got your priorities right.
jamiemcp 11 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp: Im thinking getting the sirurs and a gammer mx hoody any one got any experiance of these
In reply to jamiemcp:

I took a Gamma MX hoodie to the Alps in June/July and never took it off. Perfick ;~D
Removed User 11 Oct 2004
> (In reply to ramon marin martinez)

> They sure are. I've almost considered wearing mine down the pub ;~D

You will go over to the dark side....nice wee fleecy top and a pint by the fire......och I't looks a bit wet out I'll wear my approach shoes.
jamiemcp 11 Oct 2004
do you recon that it would be any good for the lovley scotish winter ?
In reply to Removed User:

Looking forward to getting 0.5cm snow in London so I can wear my new Vasque Ice 9000s to work ;P
In reply to jamiemcp:

I'd love to be able to help you but I've never done Scottish winter. I would have thought it would be fine though unless it's raining hard. I found it to be completely wind proof so it kept out the cold and I just wore an extra Polartech 100 for very early starts when it was colder.
Removed User 11 Oct 2004
I'm sure if you walked around the right parts of London they'd be in Top Shop within the month.
In reply to Removed User:

LOL! That's scary because it's sooooo true.
Removed User 11 Oct 2004

There bound to those that do it deliberately

"T-shirts with only one sleeve....not a chance mate, a ton says it won't catch on.....doh!!!"
JH 11 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp:

I assume you mean Sirrus Sl jacket, I've got one and have to say it is excellent, can't fault it in any way. Bought it at Snow+rock when they were on sale.

I wear a Grifone Rac jacket (what?) soft shell under it and so far so good.

Try looking at the reveiw below.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewproduct/mps/RGN/3/RCN/67/RPN/3077...
Daws 11 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp: I can recommend REI.com sales shop - much cheapness if you keep your eyes open
 jam 12 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp:

Because:

1) The stuff is made using an expensive labour pool (ie it is made in Canada instead of China) and

2) They seem to be aiming specifically at a well-moneyed segment of the market.
 Jenn 12 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp:

BTW - I hade their Needle 45l backpack and can't recommend it enough. I have a curve in my back (scoliosis) and found that no other backpack fit me like this one because the shape is actually customisable.

I would love to own one of their softshells but can't afford it
 jam 12 Oct 2004
In reply to jam:

Whilst on this subject, whilst they make some pretty good gear, I won't buy Arcteryx gear because I've had crap experience with their customer service- something that I'm not willing to put up with for a company that charges such a significant brand premium.
jamiemcp 12 Oct 2004
In reply to jam:
what happened ?
 Jenn 12 Oct 2004
In reply to jam:

The people who ran the store where I bought my backpack said they have horrible service, even to their suppliers!
 jam 12 Oct 2004
In reply to jamiemcp:

Nothing major... just ignored an inital complaint then when asked again, promised a follow-up but didn't deliver. Other gear companies I've dealt with have been more responsive, and I figured that if Arcteryx is going to position itself as a premium company but then fail to deliver on service, I would instead see it as an overpriced company.

Sure, they make quality stuff, but so do half dozen other manufacturers. I'll stick to the ones that bother to respond to their customers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...