UKC

sherpa costs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just orgainising a trip to do mera and island peak this time next year - the trip is getting abit more expensive than i thought.
Can anyone help my piece of mind by telling me accuratly how much hireing a sherpa generaly costs per day?? Ive heard in the region of $5 from a few places and that is what i have budgeted for - but can anyone confirm this?

cheers
Dean 25 Nov 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain:
You talking sherpas or porters? Sounds about right (all in) for a porter but too low for a sherpa guide.
In reply to Dean:
lol. didnt no there was any difference between the 2! probably just a porter then although looking at a permit application form it mentions a "representative in kathmandu" and "sirdar / guide" so would this mean we would need a sherpa guide with an address in kathmandu?? and are porters cheaper?
 TobyA 26 Nov 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: yep - very different. Don't know current prices at all, but having a sirdar is more like hiring a guide in Europe, whilst porters just carry bags.

If it is your first time in Asia, remember that whatever you pay them that you would never work for that little, and that you have a 'duty of care' to them once you have employed them.
 Ali 26 Nov 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: Yes porters are cheaper, and its compulsary to have a sirdar/guide as well (I think they act as an intermediate between you and the porters as well as a 'guide'). Also, I don't know if this is still true, but you may have to provide the porters with basic equipment, depending on terrain you're on I guess - there should be a porters code somewhere which you should check through as this could also add to your costs - goes with the 'duty of care' thing. I'm guessing the representative in Kathmandu has to be someone different to the sirdar - I'm not sure if you could contact the British Embassy there and put someone there down? They probably just need it for a contact address type thing when you're out there. Was looking into this a few years ago when looking at possible places to go next summer - looked like a bureaucratic nightmare so we're going to Greenland instead
Dean 26 Nov 2004
My advice to you is to use a trekking agency in Kathmandu. It probably is possible to do it all from here, but it will take a serious lot of effort and you'll never really know if it's going to work out till you get there. The agencies are real experts in this sort of thing, and in the big scheme of things, will add little extra to your costs. Will be worth your while investing in a couple of books:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1864502312/qid=1101457869/ref=sr_8...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1871890934/qid=1101457965/ref=sr_8...
 Tom Briggs 26 Nov 2004

You really need to get in touch with an agency and find out what is actually involved.

P.S. Add Satellite phone to your costs if you are going up the Hongu and over the Amphu Labtsa.
 jools 26 Nov 2004

http://www.portersprogress.org/

You could always contact these guys, they run many projects in asia to aid and asist the porters, they can help with supplying porters and advising on fees and what is required.

Theres a lot more to porters, sherpas and liason officers than just 'heres my gear, I am going there'.

jools
 L.A. 26 Nov 2004
In reply to jools: Whilst I agree with Tom- to give you the current approx price(ie. what I paid last week in the Himlung/Damodar region) was 350rps for a porter.Its about 500rps for a young fairly inexperienced porter guide.Rupee is 135 to £.
Many will charge much more than this in the Khumbu and especially in Lukla to take you over the Zatrawa La as they know theyve got you!After all your not going to carry a monstrous load with food tents etc over it - It depends how well you can bargain/hustle, ideally in Nepali as this often generates a lower rate(dont worry not many succeed!)
Do Not forget to make allowance to provide gear/warm clothing/ boots/food if required for the porters-Check the gear they have before taking them high. Many have died in the Hinku Hongu region because of inadequate clothing.
 L.A. 26 Nov 2004
In reply to L.A.: Some more items to budget for...A sirdar is compulsory if you get a permit(more on this in a minute)and costs about 1000 rps a day.He must be registered through an agency who will generally provide/sort out the porters etc but at a cost.
Also allow for your donation to the peoples war...The maoists are quite active around Mera B/Camp and will almost certainly meet you for a donation. I dont know the current cost in Khumbu but Annapurna Circuit trekkers are charged at 100Rps per day -about £20 for most people
Whilst a permit is quite expensive there are many Sirdars around Mera and some (although not all by any means) will shop you to the police in Lukla if you dont have a sidar/permit. Also the Representatives of the Peoples War may try to charge you more..
Dont forget to allow for money to tip porters /sirdars ( and Airline officials/jobsbodies if flying out of Lukla at a busy period and theres been a back up of flights)
 Yyonnx 26 Nov 2004

Summited Island Peak this date last year. I had an agency set up everything and paid probably 4 times more than what I needed to pay. Getting the peak permit for 350 dollars/peak is no problem...can get many agencies to set that up for you for a small fee.

Using the tea houses for lodging up to Chhukung will be about 500 rps for bed and food/day? I camped and would never do it again. Someone had recommened that it was better than staying in the tea houses...it was not.

Without a climbing guide, I'd hire a Sirdar/porter, someone who agrees to help you with your pack and will take care of you and the trail and logistics in and out of Lukla. As someone pointed out above, this is usually done by different people but I've seen it done, one person handling both jobs and if the party is small (2-3 people) seems the best idea to me...one Sirdar/person. What I would do when I go back again.

Can not remember exactly but I think that a German guy I ran into said he had paid his one Sirdar/porter 70 dollars for a 10 day period...can not remember if that was with food and lodging included for the Sirdar/porter or not...

If you require a climbing guide, talk to agencies (mine was not worth recommending) and sort it out that the guide meets you at a village close to the base camp. This will cut down on costs and you don't need them for walking up and down cattle trails.

Get Bill O'Connor's book, The Trekking Peaks of Nepal. There is also another great guide, not recent, that had in the back a whole lot of beginning Nepali that I found helpful...can't remember the name and the photocopies I have don't have the name anywhere on the pages.

Hope this helps!
 MD 26 Nov 2004
In reply to L.A.:

There's a maoist stronghold shortly after the Zatrwa La. They were charging between 3000Rps and 5000Rps per person in October this year.

cheers guys for all you help. ive contacted portersprogress.org and the british embassy for more details regarding porters and sidars.
Can anyone reccomend any agencys who can handle this logistical side and what price you can expect to pay??

thanks again for you help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...