UKC

Berghaus Baltoro Soft Shell - any comments?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr U Idh 22 Jan 2005
I've been on the lookout for a Schoeller jacket and just saw / tried on one of these in NevisSport. Nice cut (if a bit roomy at the back) and nice weight. Any reports on actual performance? I'm really looking for something to cover active walking / cycling.
 gear boy 24 Jan 2005
In reply to Dr U Idh: the fabric is wb400 i think, if so its one of the membraned schoellers, very water-resistant but not as breatheable as you would like, probably no better than windbloc/stopper fabrics, suggest looking at marmot dri-clime,rab vapour-rise, mtn h/wear tempest or ME microtherm type jkt for more active use
Dr U Idh 24 Jan 2005
In reply to gear boy:

Yep - WB400. I've got a Windstopper and find it to be less breathable than I'd like. I had some good experience with Schoeller (Dryskin?) trousers and was hoping this would be similar. I've tried Microtherm too and find it wets out very quickly. Perhaps I need to look at re-proofing it with a spray rather than wash-in.

I'll take a wee gander at your suggestions. Ta.
 gear boy 24 Jan 2005
In reply to Dr U Idh: remember water-resistance decreases as breathability increases generally,
most new pertex fabrics will have a new "shield" treatment on this spring to give better dwr, otherwise look at MH tempest as it has a coated non-taped face fabric, for most resistant out of the suggestions
hope you find what you want!
In reply to Dr U Idh:

An alternative might be PowerShield, if you're after a more sturdy shell. PowerShield uses a perforated membrane (Malden's Air Control Technology version of their Windbloc membrane), which allows more air to pass; the 'Goldilocks' amount, if you like...

I was fortunate to pick up one of the Patagonia Core Skin jackets from R&R, which I am getting to like, and has a very effective DWR.

I have two Microtherm jackets, one which wets out pretty quickly (and always has), and a later one which is much better; practically waterproof. It may be that ME have changed the DWR.
Dr U Idh 24 Jan 2005
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks. Based on your last comment, I'm going to try re-proofing my Microtherm with a spray and see how it performs. Failing that it's either the Baltoro or a search for Powershield (Macpac Stealth?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...